[reprap-dev] RepRap, NYC Maker Faire

Sebastien Bailard penguin at supermeta.com
Sun Aug 8 21:43:21 PDT 2010

On August 8, 2010 08:37:05 am Steve Kelly wrote:
> I strongly agree. If we don't make it obvious reprap is an umbrella
> organization, people might think it is just another company.

Yup.

I think we may be a chartered non-profit. Probably.

In practice we're a non-profitish research group and a documentation
system which hosts a marketplace.  Or possibly vice-versa, to a tiny
degree.

Basically, RepRap = RepRap. (I'm pretty sure about that bit, and I
think most members of the extended community will agree on that
definition.)

---Elaborate Digression---
Part of the fun is that everyone who can edit a wiki page can be a
RepRap Developer. Or an Official RepRap Supplier™. Also, after a bit
of gentle nudging, reprap "core" went through a re-org a few weeks
back, and went from a closed list/cabal to an open dev list:

I'm very proud. Now, Phase 2 is to flood Adrian's inbox via
reprap-dev. (Adrian's original reason for going with a closed dev list
was to minimize his comms load.)

> How can we setup a mailing list? I already setup a wiki page, and that
> might be a good "read this to get up to speed" article.
>
> -Steve

---Organization---
NYC-Makerfair Mailing list is set up here:

Obligatory reprap wiki page here:
http://reprap.org/wiki/NYC_Maker_Faire

I'll announce it on the blog this evening. I'm pretty sure we'll
quickly fill a 10x30 space.

---Where and When---
http://makerfaire.com/newyork/2010/

Maker Faire is being held Saturday, September 25th - 10:00 a.m. to 7
p.m.and Sunday, September 26th - 10:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.. It is at the
New York Hall of Science in 47-01 111th Street, Queens, NY 11368-2950.

---Ticket Pricing---
Attendence is free for RepRap booth folk, unless you're selling stuff.

---Selling---
Folk who aren't selling don't have to worry about that stuff. Folk who
are selling will probably pay ?~$100-150? each. More if they take up
more space. Or they can get a commercial booth if they want to
establish themselves as a commercial player as opposed to a warm
cuddly RepRap boothie.

At Bay Area Maker Faire, we were a mixed commercial/non-commercial
space; Endeavor, Bay Area RUG folk, TechZone and others who are part
of RepRap all chipped in towards a ~$360 fee in order to sell
stuff. It worked out quite well; I think we'll want to do the same
thing here, if anyone is selling stuff.

If need be, I'll organize that side of things. For example, if we have
5 parties selling, I'll collect $360/5 = $72 from selling-folk if we
have 5 parties selling.

Cheers,
-Sebastien