[reprap-dev] Castable ceramics

Mark Feldman accounts at ppl-pilot.com
Fri Jun 3 06:30:46 PDT 2011

Has anyone here had any experience with using castable ceramics in the
hot end? I've recently been given some to play with so if there's
already been some prior work done then I'd like to hear your thoughts
before I start.

The stuff I've got is rated at 1700 degrees C so I'm toying with the
idea of seeing if it can substitute the PTFE barrier. Given that it
comes in powder form (which is used to make a paste) it should in theory
be possible to print, or at least cast in a RepRapped mould. Thermal
insulation and strength are supposed to be very good but frictional
coefficient isn't.

Mark