[reprap-dev] RepRap Trademarked in Germany

Leo Dearden leo.dearden at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 16:29:33 PST 2012

Indeed.

OTOH, at least in the UK, this could be overturned at this stage. IMHO, it
should even be easy, but IANAL.

I seriously considered registering a TM a few years ago, so I read up on
it. Trade mark ownership (like copyright) does not depend on registration.
It is automatic, as soon as a name/logo/etc is generally recognised to show
that a product comes from a particular entity. Registration is simply
supposed to be a way to make the matter clearer, and establish ownership in
cases where nobody has general recognition (yet). Without registration,
it's awkward (and usually expensive) to prove.

After the application is made to register a trademark, there is period
where anyone who has a reasonable claim to already own that trade mark can
announce themselves, and the application will be rejected. After this time,
the burden of proof shifts, and reversing the registration becomes much
harder.

The last record on the linked page  translates as:

Filing status AST Application received

Perhaps if Adrian gets in touch with them, they will reject the
application. Adrian, are you interested in (even gently) fighting this?

Are there any German speakers on the list who would be willing to
mediate/assist?

--
Leo

--