[reprap-dev] Marlin on Teensy 3.1

Paul Stoffregen paul at pjrc.com
Tue Jun 24 04:39:34 PDT 2014

On 06/22/2014 02:33 PM, Markus Hitter wrote:
> Am 22.06.2014 21:33, schrieb Bas Wijnen:
>> Why does anything need porting?
> Other than the Teensy 2, Teensy 3 comes with an ARM chip, so you have to
> at least port the parts with assembler code. Interrupt model is a
> different one, and similar things more.

Yup, that's pretty much what I did last week.  I replaced the 2 chunks
of assembly with C code.  ARM as 32 bit single-cycle multiply, and
single-cycle shift by any number of bits, so optimized assembly for long
multiplies isn't needed.

Likewise, I replaced the timer interrupt with similar code for the
native timers and the fastio macros with ones for the native registers,
and other similar stuff.  Whether it actually works well is a good
question....

But if Teacup already works, maybe all this porting effort on the
AVR-centric Marlin code is pointless?  Truth is, I'm really a software
and electronics guy not very familiar with mechanical stuff and 3D
printing.  Are Teacup and Marlin similar in capability? Would anyone
reasonably need Marlin if Teacup is already working well?