Vitamin?RepRap machines are intended to evolve to the point at which they will be able to make a great majority of their own parts.
See Development Pathway. However, there are a few parts which it won't be able to make... at least for now.
In RepRap jargon, a vitamin (also called an "imported part" or "non-printed part") is anything that you need to make a RepRap, which a RepRap cannot itself make.
Currently, This list includes the following:
Simple List of Non-Printed Parts
- Standard electronic chips such as microcontrollers and optical sensors
- Standard electrical wiring, USB connectors, LEDs and other electronics components, etc.
- Standard electrical PCBs -- at least until we have a breakthrough in Automated Circuitry Making
- Motors (Stepper, Servo, and DC alike)
- Power Supply
- Bolts -- though these can be reduced in count with design accomodations. (one RepRap design doesn't have any nuts or bolts or threaded rod).
- Ø8 mm steel rods (smooth rods and threaded rods)
Beyond that, all of the structural and mechanical parts should eventually be printable with FDM Rapid Prototyping technology. Except perhaps the hand that assembles it... for now anyway.
Pages in category "Vitamin"
The following 20 pages are in this category, out of 20 total.