Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lessons you can learn from Print Failure

Posted by richrap 
Lessons you can learn from Print Failure
October 07, 2011 03:42PM
Hello Everyone,

I did a blog post on print failures, lessons and how to correct them etc.

Take a look here if you have ever had a problem with your 3D printer (that's all of you !)

The comments are starting to raise an interesting idea of a failure repository for people to submit images and generally have solutions to common issues all in one place (and before you say Wiki).

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Re: Lessons you can learn from Print Failure
October 07, 2011 06:30PM
RichRap
The comments are starting to raise an interesting idea of a failure repository for people to submit images and generally have solutions to common issues all in one place (and before you say Wiki).

Sounds like a great idea.
I'll check out your blog. I think I've been there before.

ISTAR Scope Club
October 07, 2011 09:58PM
I just started my flickr page mainly to show people on IRC the problems I was having in order to fix them. I try to list the problem and how I fixed it in the descriptions. You have a good idea, I will continue to list the fixes in all my failed print descriptions and I hope others will make comments on the pics with other advice on tuning.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
October 08, 2011 05:41AM
Being a programmer my initial reaction to Rich's post was to create a web app for this kind of thing (I see the failiverse.com domain is available smiling smiley But, as C.Cecil points out, a service like Flickr would be much more suitable. It has a couple of benefits too:

Not having to worry about storage costs for uploaded images and such.
Commenting system already there.
Option to have a public group or a invite only group (to moderate against spam postings perhaps?).
Email notifications and RSS feeds to track it.

Rich - you kicked things off with your post I guess, if you want to drive this let me know, otherwise I'll happily coordinate it if noone else wants to. I feel these kind of resources are really useful for the 3D printing ecosystem!

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
October 08, 2011 05:50AM
Plus with flickr you have the ability to join groups...real easy to make specific groups for the 3d printing scene as a whole or individual machine type.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
October 08, 2011 07:21AM
Hi Gary,

I agree, Thingiverse is not going to work, and we need high resolution images and lots of them, with comments etc. I have not used Flickr yet, but I will make myself an account and get up to speed.
If you want to kick it off I would be happy to join in with more photos and writing whenever I have time, it could be a great place to document all sorts of common and not-so common build issues and setup problems.

c.Cecil - that's a good point, the groups function may also help co-ordinate and categorise failures or specific machine issues / setup's

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers,

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
October 08, 2011 07:57AM
Well, strike while the iron is hot I say.... http://www.flickr.com/groups/3d-print-failures/

I'll play around with the settings and try and add a couple of examples. Changes to the title, description and alias and such just let me know - I took most of the ideas from the original post smiling smiley

At the moment it's open to the public - if you think it'd be better to make it invite only then let me know. Likewise shout and i'll set up the moderators and admins as you think best.

October 08, 2011 08:23AM
Ok, I think it's set up as it should be. The group pool seems to have the features we want (comments, descriptions, tags). I've uploaded an example entry to get the ball rolling, and will make time later to add some more.

Attachments:
open | download - 2011-10-08 14h15_13.png (527.4 KB)
October 08, 2011 07:10PM
I added my recent failure to the group. Let's keep this going. It will save a lot of time for people in the long run I think.

October 08, 2011 07:29PM
This is great! I added my warped starfish and pyramid thing with mis-aligned layers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login