Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Trouble with Temperatures

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Re: Trouble with Temperatures
November 05, 2011 11:55AM
Yea I found out that the extruder had been disabled, and remembered your comment. I added the lines back in and recompiled and the extruder motor now works too. as far as using the new software, I assume you're speaking of arduino-22. I already use this software to drive the mb but must use the 21 version for the extruder, not sure why that is. just about up to temp now so I'll see what happens....
November 05, 2011 07:51PM
That's good then. I'm glad you got my firmware version working. I was referring the the extruder firmware from Adrian in sourceforge. But if the one I sent you is communicating fine with the MB, then you're set.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2011 07:53PM by brnrd.
November 06, 2011 03:56PM
hmm I'll take a look at the new software. What type of hot end do you use. Seems that's my issue now. I've built and built but I think it's time to purchase one. Any recommendations ?
November 07, 2011 12:45AM
I've been using the Budaschnozzle for a month and it's been working well. I finished 5 lbs of ABS with it so far. I highly recommended it. Lulzbot.com sells them assembled for $75. They are only selling nozzles of 0.5 mm now. I just wish they sell them with smaller nozzles.
November 18, 2011 05:26PM
Hello again,
In my impulsiveness, I read your message late and ordered instead a j head nozzle mkiv-b (I will however have this post should I need to reorder). The new nozzle appears to work fine and now i can squirt pla. My issue now (there always seems to be the next issue) is I am having trouble getting the pla to stick to the blue painters tape I added to the (as yet ) unheated bed. It also gets stuck at the nozzle. I read in the forum that the nozzle head should only be about .5mm above the table. Would you agree with that ? I think once I am thru this issue I may be on my way.
November 18, 2011 06:00PM
For PLA, you usually need to be less than 1 layer thickness away from the bed on your first layer. I zero the z using a sheet of paper as a feeler gauge. A sheet of paper is usually 0.1 mm thick. You need to preheat the nozzle and allow time for parts to expand as this will move the nozzle closer to the bed. Then, zero the z using the host with a piece of paper under the nozzle. If you can pull paper with a slight resistance, then your height is good. If too tight or too loose, you need to adjust your z endstop, zero your z and try again. I like to do this in the center of the bed.

Note that if your extruder is not properly calibrated and you're not pushing enough plastic,then you would also have trouble making the plastic stick.

You may also need to set your nozzle at a higher temperature on the first layer and then turn it down on the second layer by as much as 10-20C.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2011 06:01PM by brnrd.
November 18, 2011 09:41PM
It's taken awhile but...it repraps!! my first "thing". thanks all, especially you brnrd. Probably be a bit before I'm printing real things but what great fun this is.
Attachments:
open | download - 1streprap.jpg (65.9 KB)
November 19, 2011 01:10AM
I'm glad I could help. Congratulations!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login