Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

updated skeinforge, extrusion slowed, need help.

Posted by Anthong Redbeard 
updated skeinforge, extrusion slowed, need help.
October 20, 2011 04:33PM
Just this week I did a print I was very happy with on skeinforge 41. It was my benchmark before upgrading.

I downloaded the latest skeinforge and without changing any settings, or firmware, the extrusion slows to a useless crawl AFTER the 1st layer.

The first layer goes down beautifully, then after that it slows to the point where you can barely see it move but the retraction set in dimension still works great, so it ends up just going backwards.

I have a wades / prusa ramps1.2
esteps/unit at 700

dimension set for 2.88 / .97 for PLA

I loaded somone elses working .43 profile and it extruded way too much, I noticed it was set for 1.75 filament... so I'm thinking that something has changed in dimension?

thanks,
-Anthong
Re: updated skeinforge, extrusion slowed, need help.
October 22, 2011 06:28AM
I have the same problem, the weird part is it did start after I upgraded to SF43 - I mean, not right after, but a few days later.

For now I workarounded it by giving more flowrate (315 instead of 210) in the "speed" tab. It does a lil too much extrusion on the first layer then, but not enough to be a showstopper.

I'd really like to understand what is happening there.
October 22, 2011 06:50AM
flowrate = 315 eye popping smiley

You obviously haven't calibrated your printer for using Skeinforge >= 40.
Your feed and flow rates should be the same @ 30, 32, 36, 40, 50, 60 or whatever your hardware supports.
You need to change your E_STEPS_PER_MM in your firmware so E100 pull 100mm of filament into the extruder.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 22, 2011 09:27AM
I did that, and it worked fine under SF41. And a few days in SF 43 too. Then something changed. Do we have fairys or little devils living in the reprap machines ?

Anyway, you're right, I'll check my E_STEPS again just to be sure.
October 22, 2011 09:35AM
I know my esteps are good. I went back to skeinforge 41 and am doing 35/35 - 60/60 and it looks great. I'll just stay on 41 until it's figured out.
October 22, 2011 09:49AM
Did you delete your old profiles before starting SF44?
You should move the entire .skeinforge directory somewhere else and then start SF44 and configure a profile to what you need. Using old profiles with newer skeinforge versions rarely works properly.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
October 22, 2011 10:32AM
I did. but I also did try combinations of using someone elses .43 profile that was working and upgrading my own.
October 22, 2011 07:20PM
I got the same issue, and would of liked to make a proper report for this. Just the thing is, i have no clue why it happens or how to reproduce it.

It seems to work fine for a few days indeed. Slices fine and all ok.

After some use however, something happens. No clue what, i tried reproduce but i cant put my finger on it. I think it has something to do with other python programs, e.g. slicing with sf while pronterface prints or in general maybe other .py's running at same time.

And after "magic thing happens" the second layer the extrusion flow is like half. It does squirt some, but little, like half, perhaps as it should print skin perimeters that kind of half - my impression. Except skin is off and that shouldnt affect the feed rate on normal infill paths anyways.

@Anthong:
I am using gen3 vanilla, teacup, senders either repetitier and pronterface, sometimes the bundled sf versions with pyton inside but i dont see how those would be an issue. Got 266 and 272(def) pythons installed, one with QT, and other py mods. OS Win XP with most of non-essential services turned off. Any common points with you so far, anything familiar?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2011 07:25PM by NoobMan.
October 22, 2011 08:38PM
nope. I'm running ubuntu, latest sanctioned python, sprinter firmware, repsnapper
October 22, 2011 10:38PM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Using old profiles with
> newer skeinforge versions rarely works properly.

Untrue!! I've been running basically the same profile since SF26 or so.. Sometimes Enrique moves things but moving profiles forward to new releases always works for me.

rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> flowrate = 315 eye popping smiley

This catch deserves more attention, IMO.. If somebody's using SF40+ and has dimension enabled, a flow rate of 315 is probably very wrong. I've seen my extruder do strange things (like turn very slowly or even the wrong way) when I've put very-wrong numbers in before..
October 23, 2011 06:00AM
I would agree with rhmorisson about deleting the .sk folder and redoing all settings manually each time, its actually how i do it too. I think some might not have issues with it, but it might depend on os and things like that.

Also i find that this issue has nothing to do with flowrate settings at least for me its correct set, along with rest of settings.

No clue how this occurs, but i would rather say that it smells like it might have something to do with skin and horizontal/vertical divisions, regardless if skin is enabled or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login