Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Darwin CAD Model Files STL, Solidworks, max, 3ds?

Posted by JoeMcGuire 
RepRap Darwin CAD Model Files STL, Solidworks, max, 3ds?
March 11, 2008 06:59PM
Hey,

I am in search of the cad file for the RepRap. Ideally something compatible with 3ds max but anything will do to get me started.

To clarify - I'm looking for a cad representation of the RepRap Darwin design.

I

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 07:12PM by JoeMcGuire.
Re: RepRap Darwin CAD Model Files STL, Solidworks, max, 3ds?
March 12, 2008 06:35AM
Hi Joe,

Here is where I downloaded the STL files on source forge:

[sourceforge.net]

Here is the zip file that contains the STL parts files:

reprap-cartesian-bot-1.0.5.zip

I have been assembling a virtual RepStrap in 3ds by importing the STL files and following the assembly instructions for the Darwin. I accepted the defaults when importing the STL files into 3ds and all seems well.

I should be able to assemble a real physical Darwin by the time I can get the molded parts kit. I am on the Y axis part of the assembly and have almost finished the complete Darwin. I'm thinking of generating some animated assembly videos to go along with the text for assembling the Darwin. I would really like to be able to load an STL file as a target part into the Darwin model in 3ds and have it "extrude" a virtual part using scripting. I wish I had more free time!

I would be happy to send you the complete Darwin in 3ds format when I'm done if you would like, unless you want the experience of doing it yourself.
March 12, 2008 08:37AM
spcmicro,

Great to hear you have the same idea!

I'm currently building a physical Darwin and am too on the Y-axis so you are very close to being finished.

The idea of scripting the 3d model to actually animating the Darwin building an object is mad! great idea it has never dawned on me as possible.

It would be great if you could share the model when you have finished. However if you are willing to share, I would appreciate playing with the files at whatever stage you got to.

Could you attach the almost complete model to this thread?

Joe
March 12, 2008 11:00AM
seriously guys, please do this!!!

i'm picturing the video and its amazing.
March 12, 2008 11:08AM
Assembly animations would be really handy. There were a couple times where I was reading the assembly instructions, looking at the drawings and really just not getting it. One part that stands out in my mind is the Z motor mounting. I think I had to do that three times before I got it right.
March 12, 2008 02:47PM
I'm glad you guys are interested in this. I will try to get the model completed by the end of the weekend and I'll post it when I'm done. If people are interested in helping, maybe we could divide up the assembly videos amongst us and get them out to the builders sooner than it would take if I worked on them solo. I welcome any suggestions on how we could best accomplish this and I would be happy to co-ordinate such an effort.

I'm really fired up about the possibility of producing virtual parts. I did some procedural modeling scripting in MAX a few years ago and I think it can be done. Producing virtual parts might be a good way to determine if a given part has problem areas that a physical RepRap might have trouble producing.
March 12, 2008 05:02PM
keep in mind if you want to do virtual part production that you can do that with the reprap host software right now. its not intuitive, but if you change your geometry setting to 'nullcartesian' you can then load and build a part and it will go through the whole slice/dice process. pretty rad.

~Zach
March 12, 2008 05:16PM
I had forgotten about that feature. I haven't used it yet though. Thanks for the reminder about it's existance Zach. The virtual part script was a 3ds project I thought would be challenging. I'll be doing the assembly animations first.
March 16, 2008 09:13AM
I have a 3DS Max file for the Darwin mechanical assembly. The bad news is that I can't upload it as an attachment because of the 613.8K file limit. The file is around 2M zipped. I will send it to Adrian and Zach to see how they want to handle it. It probably should go on to the source forge area.

There might be a few minor issues but most of the parts are here. I wanted to spend more time checking things over but I know there are people who want to get their hands on the file so consider it a work in progress.

Notes:

1. I have not started on the extruder head yet so that is missing.
2. No materials have been applied yet. I find the colors help identify common parts and assemblies.
3. I was just learning about assemblies in 3ds so the application of groups and assemblies is not consistant. My bad.

I will work on the extrude head next and then the assembly videos.

Have fun,

Steve... .. .
March 16, 2008 09:21AM
By the way, the file is in Max 2008 format...
March 16, 2008 11:03AM
Steve,

You could use media fire to upload your file it is a free file hosting and has a 100 meg limit..

www.mediafire.com

Bruce
March 22, 2008 05:37AM
OK, I gave the mediafire option a try.

Here's the link

[www.mediafire.com]

Let me know if it works.
April 08, 2008 06:01AM
Could such a file be exported to a non-proprietary format? Would be great if that were possible... I've just gotten myself a little more familiar with Art of Illusion. It imports:
- wavefront (.obj)
- stl
- Digital Elevation (.dem)
- ASCII .dxf
- Videoscape .geo
- Lightwave object .lwo
- POV tree mesh (.pov .inc)
- 3D studio object .3ds

Erik de Bruijn
[blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
April 09, 2008 02:37AM
I have exported the file in 3ds format so give it a try in Art of Illusion and let me know how it works for you.

Here's the link:

[www.mediafire.com]
April 09, 2008 04:40AM
Thanks spcmicro. Neatly done! I think that making the RepRap and its software aesthetically pleasing will improve adoption and make it more end-user ready. We need to take these first steps.
OK the links are dead, so now what
July 28, 2008 06:07AM
I still had the files, uploaded it to my website here:
[files.erikdebruijn.nl] / RepRapDarwin3ds.zip

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login