Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

techzone monolithic with sprinter

Posted by morrist 
techzone monolithic with sprinter
November 01, 2011 10:37AM
hello all,

i wanted to poll the community to see how many are using sprinter on their monolithic boards? i have been getting good prints from their standard firmware but i heard a rumor that sprinter may work better. before i make that change and start the calibration all over again, i wanted to hear about it from people who have the set up. Thank you

Morrist
Re: techzone monolithic with sprinter
November 01, 2011 04:07PM
What is Sprinter ?
November 01, 2011 06:41PM
@CassArt

the current "official-ish" firmware

https://github.com/kliment/Sprinter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 06:42PM by Pawl.
November 01, 2011 07:39PM
Thanks Pawl,
I will have a look at the web link ;-)
November 01, 2011 09:30PM
November 01, 2011 09:44PM
Thanks nudel, i have seen the wiki smiling smiley i am just curious on how many in the community do/ have done this already, and if the changes brought greater rewards.

Morrist
November 01, 2011 11:17PM
Hi Morrist,
Just one question guys, Why do all this fiddling around when i find the monolithic just fine the way it is with
the seperate tip board and heated bed board. What are the advantages ?
November 01, 2011 11:19PM
Ah, my apologies, I didn't read your post properly.

Well, I don't know exactly what fw is running on monolithic, but on my old sells with gen3 remix I run a year old fived without accelration, so that one is pretty limited and very slow.

On my prusa with sanguinololu I use sprinter, and I must say I like it very much. It's easier to understand and calibrate, it's smaller and have more features than older firmwares I have used. Also I have had next to no need for calibration, but that might very well be mostly to mechanical superiority.

Another thing I see beneficial is ease of future updates, even though you might not see the big change in quality right now. If you start to use the "official" sprinter you can easily update it from the newest github and get the latest features as soon as they are ready. Also, the longer you wait, the bigger and more difficult the change will be, relatively speaking. The firmware from a supplier is always lagging (more or less extremely) behind because they value stability over new features.

I'd say take control over your own firmware, and experiment! If it fails to work or something, just load the old firmware again, and you're back where you started.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 02, 2011 01:38AM
nudel, it seems like very sound advice, i will attempt to rebuild the hot end and adjust the board for the new firmware. i will repost with how it turns out. and cass, acceleration currently does not work well on the board, and ive heard of higher print speeds for sprinter. also, sprinter does use microstepping and im 90% the 5d doesnt, so if i understand it correctly, the accuarcy will be better and i will have smoother prints with the new firmware
November 02, 2011 08:28AM
Glad to help smiling smiley The microstepping is limited by the hardware, not software. Just make sure you follow the instructions on the wiki about setup for your board, and you should be good to go without much calibration at all.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 07, 2011 08:43AM
Nudel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Check out the wiki:
> [reprap.org]

I'd like to try another solution : porting the heater management daughter board code from stock monotronics firmware (a modified FiveD I guess) to sprinter - or other firmwares.

This would avoid the need for hardware modifications.

I just don't have enough time on my hands currently smiling smiley
November 07, 2011 12:05PM
@Deuxvis

Teacup does just that, and it works for me. Temps are off and I haven't worked much on it, but it's probably a wrong thermistor table somewhere.

I'd rather use my EC for a robot project or something though, feels like a bit of a waste of an entire arduino to do so little work. smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Morrist( on a public computer)
November 07, 2011 12:38PM
i am going to make the switch in the next few days, just had a round of midterms at school. Is there a specific thermistor i need to use, and do i need to change the length of nichrome wire on the hot end, or is there a place in the firmware to adjust resitivity?

Morrist
November 07, 2011 05:15PM
You can use any thermistor (within our needed specs) as long as you have the right temptable for it.

No need to change the heater wire if it worked before, the heater is still 12v.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 08, 2011 06:36PM
is there a specific one that you could recommend? i will order one as soon as i know for sure it could work. thanks again smiling smiley

morrist
November 08, 2011 08:14PM
If you use one of the thermistors that's already included in the Sprinter or Marlin firmware, then this would save you from having to keep editing the thermistor tables everytime you decide to load the latest release. Also, it's easier if you use the same one for the bed also. smiling smiley
November 09, 2011 01:19PM
i think i found one,
[reprap.org]

so i could use any from the list, such as
// 7 is 100k Honeywell thermistor 135-104LAG-J01

Morrist
November 13, 2011 02:09PM
any ideas on the thermistor at all?
Has anyone got microstepping working with sprinter?

Steve
January 16, 2012 11:37PM
microstepping is "turned on" by setting jumpers on your hardware stepper driver boards - Pololus or Stepsticks etc.
The Driver-board/Stepper motor combination then "looks like" it needs more steps per revolution.

The only effect on your firmware - Sprinter or any other, is that you must change the "steps per mm" calibration.

If for example you have a 200 step per rev stepper motor, with a standard mendell X/Y pulley, this would be approx 5 steps/mm

If you set 1/8 micro-stepping, then it would takes 5 x 8 = 40 steps to be sent to the Pololu or Stepstick etc for each required mm.

Sprinter doesn't know anything about it other than you will have changed the steps-per-mm value.
I was really hoping that the monolithic electronics would have a pin which pulled these pins high/low in software and that maybe it wasnt set in spinter. It was wishful thinking.

I finally downloaded PCB artist and looked at the PCB (as the PDFs from Techzone dont work and they don't have schematic) So the driver is set to half step in hardware on the board and that is its max. At the moment I am getting about 11steps/mm is this sufficent or is this another upgrade I need to may to my techzone kit to make it able to produce decent quality prints.

Sorry for the stupid question I really should have looked further into it first but as I had to setup a VM just to use the PCB artist software it was quite an endevour. I hope this answers this question for anyone in the future.

Steve
January 17, 2012 11:51AM
I have recently got sprinter working well on my machine, and was starting to wonder as well where to start , to get microstepping setup.
January 18, 2012 08:43AM
The stepper drivers that are used on the monotronics I got from techzone can only do half stepping.
If I can read the circuit scheme, I believe this is enabled.

This explains why it's so more noisy than my friends prusas.
January 18, 2012 11:05PM
so if i get different steppers, than using the electronics i could use the microstepping?
January 19, 2012 09:59AM
No, the steppers are ok, the electronic board is the part to change if you want to do micro stepping.

Any recent design electronic should allow you micro stepping (RAMPS, Gen7, Sanguinololu, list not extensive).
January 30, 2012 06:04AM
hi I am wanting to change my monolithic electronics over to sprinter can anyone give me a link to the files I will need I am having issues trying to download from github Im hoping there is a mirror else ware or if someone could email them to me.
February 01, 2012 09:36AM
bump
still looking for the firmware almost finished the new hotend with thermistor should finish tonight
February 01, 2012 10:52AM
i sent you an email a while ago, did you ever get an email from me?
February 01, 2012 10:53AM
hope this helps
ps. there is two folders, one has a file to make your firmware, one of them is the firmware im using( same but with tweaks calibrated to my machine)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 10:55AM by morrist.
Attachments:
open | download - kliment-Sprinter-a352585.zip (153.7 KB)
February 12, 2012 12:59PM
thanks no I never received the mail ! question when I upload the firmware what board do I choose the howto I found just says sanguino but when I added the sanguino files to arduino I ended up with 3 sanguino options 644p, 1284p 8Mhz and 1284p 16Mhz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login