Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Off topic for the site but cool anyway!

Posted by Demented Chihuahua 
Off topic for the site but cool anyway!
March 19, 2008 01:24PM
BigDog from Boston Dynamic. New video with much improvement in the product!

[uk.youtube.com]

This is the only robot that impresses me. I don't like non-dynamic walkers of any sort. An amazing job.

Demented
VDX
Re: Off topic for the site but cool anyway!
March 19, 2008 03:14PM
... wow, thats impressive - especially the 'dance' on ice and the single-step-walk over the stones ...

When i heard 'dog' and 'robot', then i remembered another video - [www.chilloutzone.de]

Let's fab some robots and artificial pets to play with next winking smiley

Viktor
March 19, 2008 06:27PM
Now that's just a little spooky, looks to life like, soon packs of them will be chasing you through the woods for crimes you didn't commit! eye popping smiley

Ian
[www.bitsfrombytes.com]
March 20, 2008 10:44PM
No, the crime of reading books...
Anonymous User
March 21, 2008 02:23PM
The famous Boston Dynamics robot; designed for moving soldier's gear across rough terrain. Looks like to people grasping each others shoulders. They should do the talk show circuit with this robot.
Anonymous User
March 24, 2008 03:40PM
Something weird I noticed about this video. When the robot is shown slipping on ice, I get the same feeling I get when I see a person or animal slip on ice; the movement of this machine is so animal-like that I feel empathy for it when it looks like its in trouble.
VDX
March 24, 2008 04:58PM
... last i followed a documentation about the "Dacota"-dino-mummy in tv, where they simulated the biped-walk of the hadrosaurs and T-rexes - it was funny to see, how the biped's in the simulation 'learned' to walk and run from scratch in a progressive learning curve.

After some hundred thousands 'lessions' the programm managed to steer the simulated dinos in rough terrain and in virtual battles or stampedes.

This learning algorhithms with simulated Neural-Network-computing are so capable now, that you can give any mechanical setup as input and after the learning phase your system would be capable to move like a real beast, be it a biped, quadruped or a snake- or spider-like crature ...

Viktor
March 24, 2008 08:20PM
Might be easier if it has a "seed" of behavior to build off of first though.
VDX
March 25, 2008 11:47AM
... true, but it's much funnier anyway, when your 'beasts' learn on their own and present you some astonishing alternatives winking smiley

Look on the Framsticks-movies here: [www.frams.alife.pl]

Viktor
March 25, 2008 11:35PM
Funnier but much more expensive. Boston Dynamic pays out big when BigDog falls down without catching himself. Not so when a virtual beast falls over.

Demented
VDX
March 26, 2008 04:46PM
AFAIK the best way is to program on your computer a 'real' physics-engine and simulate with the same parameters as your robot would have - when learned, transfer the 'grown-up' neural-network from the simulation into your real bot.

Then it 'plays and falls' in the virtual sandbox and would restart in the real life with some basics ...

Viktor
March 26, 2008 05:35PM
Meanwhile:

Here is a video of a little mobile drumming robot:
[video.google.com]
Homepage:
[letsmakerobots.com]

And here is a video of a high-speed pick-and-place robot.
[gizmodo.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 09:17PM by SebastienBailard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login