Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRapPro Huxley(s) Available For Delivery by X-Mas

Posted by Idolcrasher 
RepRapPro Huxley(s) Available For Delivery by X-Mas
November 11, 2011 10:41AM
Gents,

I just ordered a RepRap printer from RepRapPro, Adrian Bower's new company.

Adrian Bower, the actual inventor of the opensource RepRap Device, just joined forces with the eMaker guy(s) to produce and sell RepRap machines. RepRapPro is the name of their Newley founded company.

I contributed $675 to the RepRapPro on indiegogo.com, and in turn they will be sending me a RepRapPro Huxley machine kit for Christmas! smiling smiley

$675 is about half of what you would pay for a Makerbot. Not only that, but this machine is being directly backed by Adrian Bower, so I Definatley expect a quality product.

When I get my Huxley Pro kit, I will post about the quality of the product and the build.

Last time I visited, about 82 christmas kits remained available for those who want to contribute.

If anyone else is interested, here is the link to donate and receive a machine: [igg.me]

-Idolcrasher
Re: RepRapPro Huxley(s) Available For Delivery by X-Mas
November 12, 2011 08:10AM
Can you not build a mendel for less? Also now its open source would it not be better to adapt the hotend for use on a mendel? All would have to be done would be to change a few settings and redo the carriage?

Good thogh that adrian is making money on his idea.
November 12, 2011 08:51AM
You can build one for less for sure. Can you build one of this quality for less? We shall see when she arrives!

Hopefully, the integrated SD card reader, and the convinience of starting off with a nice RepRap before doing scratch builds is wrth the entry fee.

The emaker videos on YouTube demo a high quality machine making high quality prints.

I think going this route will get me a quality machine, and a good support structure; at the same time, I get to support the actual inventor of the RepRap.

Everybody wins!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 08:53AM by Idolcrasher.
November 12, 2011 10:44AM
I dont know why you wouldnt be able to build one for less at the same quality. Its open source?

JM seems to have standardised the hardware to control the software? Sprinter seems to have worked on the firmware.
I suppose an UP! derived hot end like the emaker has and now the makerbot, seems to be the missing link in making the reprap usable out of the box.
Why can these details not be applied to the mendel? Someone should make the emaker hotend with a mendel x carriage holder and sell them. The bowden tube could go straight down into the head from the wade. Maybe raise the wade up 20/30mm.

Then install the software from the emaker github, after changing the sizes and speeds, and the results should be the same.

I would say a hot end should be no more than £50 based on the components. The hardest being the nozzle.

I do like the makerbot new hot end though. Just like the UP! but open source.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 10:50AM by progomez.
November 16, 2011 05:39AM
Adrian Bowyer giving a clever speech about the reprap [www.youtube.com]
November 17, 2011 01:29AM
You might be able to self source and build a similar bot for less, but by the time you factor in time spent shopping all over creation, shipping from all the various companies, plus the time you'll spend getting everything to work together, you won't really save much over a $675 kit. (Unless you are a genius scrounge.) So it depends on how you value your time. Not to mention that for many, going the self source route will entail some waste as you find out that thing A isn't compatible with part B and have to order C to replace it. For even fairly small $/time values this kit would likely be a better deal.

Also it's not a mendel, it's an emaker huxley with some modifications.

I bought a cupcake, scrounged up a Prusa, and I'm working on a new design now, but if I had the Prusa or the cupcake to do over I would have looked hard at a kit like this. They just weren't available when I jumped in.
November 18, 2011 07:05PM
Those were my thoughts when I decided to build one. While I will build scratch RepRaps in the future (for friends & prototypes), I wanted to start with a well made known good design.
November 18, 2011 11:02PM
my point was shouldnt the brains of reprap builders already of taken what works from the huxley emaker and adapted it to make a reliable mendel, given this size wise is more desirable.
November 19, 2011 03:41AM
What makes you think the emaker huxley is more reliable than a Mendel?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
I ordered a RepRapPro machine and it did indeed arrive before christmas, however the electronic kit is held up from the US dealer. I am still waiting on the electronic kit to arrive from the dealer. This is a great machine and the quality of the printed parts are outstanding, the best I have ever seen.
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login