Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

T2.5 pulleys and belt

Posted by TheCase 
T2.5 pulleys and belt
November 14, 2011 04:05PM
I'm interested in replacing the T5 belts with T2.5 belts and aluminum pulleys.

Does anyone have the exact dimensions or part# I should get from McMaster-Carr?
Re: T2.5 pulleys and belt
November 14, 2011 04:58PM
sdp-si is a good source as well. It's pretty easy to find T2.5 (or MXL, or GT2) belts and pulleys there.
November 14, 2011 05:02PM
Ok, so the source doesn't matter (but thank you for another source). I'm in the USA.

I'm really looking for the dimensions of the pulleys that will work with the NEMA 17s (ID, OD, Width), as well as the belt width.
November 14, 2011 06:55PM
The bore diamater is gonna have to be 5 mm to fit snugly on your motor shafts, but all the other attributes depend on the belt and personal preferences, and you'll recalculate your e_steps_per_mm value accordingly. A 6 mm or so belt will probably be fine.
November 14, 2011 09:37PM
I'm also interested in an exact part setthat people are confident in
there are so many options

[sdp-si.com]
November 15, 2011 11:28AM
And while we're asking for suggestions, how about pulleys for belt driven Z like the standard Mendel?

Though i don't suppose you need the finer belt for the z axis, but better quality pulleys would help me.
November 15, 2011 12:21PM
The printed ones should be no problem there as they only have to drive and don't need to be accurate.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
November 15, 2011 01:03PM
Ok, so back on topic.

Is there anyone using the T2.5 pulleys? If so, what did you get, where did you get them. Anyone?
November 15, 2011 01:36PM
I believe Redwizard sells some. [www.redwizard3d.com]
November 15, 2011 01:44PM
Yes, but he is in the UK and the part offers no dimensions other than it being 16 tooth.
November 15, 2011 01:52PM
I don't really know what to say. If you need exact measurements, you can easily order exactly what you want from SDP-SI or Misumi or somewhere else. T2.5 pulleys and belts are not common on RepRaps, so you'll probably be somewhat of a trailblazer here.

This might be good enough, though you may need to drill a hole for a set screw yourself (I did with plastic pulleys I ordered from SDP-SI):
[sdp-si.com]

It's about 15 mm long and 20 mm wide.

I ddn't find any in metal, but they have metal MXL pulleys that are a bit smaller (14 mm long and 11 mm wide)
[sdp-si.com]

Costs a bunch more though.
November 15, 2011 01:54PM
Yeah - I may be one of the first that want to try T2.5, but I would have imagined a few others besides Prusa himself have installed these, and could post what they got and what has worked for them.

There are many options out there - I just wanted to make sure my first order would be dimensions that worked for the N17 steppers.
November 15, 2011 02:11PM
In order to fit the motor, all you really need to care about is the bore diamater; it should be 5 mm, which is the diamater of the shafts for the NEMA 17 motors we use. If you use Prusa's new X motor end, you also need to be sure the pulley isn't too wide; I use manufactured T5 pulleys with a pitch diameter of about 19 mm and it's a tight squeeze for the belt; I had to dremel the RP part's lower surface down a bit or else it would rub. Not a big deal though.
November 15, 2011 02:57PM
I no longer have a record of the part numbers, but I have GT2 belts and pulleys from sdp-si.

Hmm. I started typing sdp-si into the Firefox "awesome bar" and it had this link. These are all-metal pulleys which clamp onto the shafts nicely without modification. The 15 tooth is listed as out of stock, but the 16 tooth is still a smaller pitch diameter than the usual 8-tooth T5. So you gain some margin for acceleration in addition to the increase in print quality. Don't forget to adjust e_steps_per_mm.

I think I used this belt for both axes, but it is also shown as out of stock. You'll be cutting to length anyway, so measure what you need and find something longer that's available. I'm not completely sure that was the length I ordered, so please check that it makes sense.
November 15, 2011 02:59PM
I'm using T2.5 belts, steppers and pulleys savaged from Epson inkjet printers. They work ok for my X and Y axis. I'm using regular steppers for extruder and Z-axis though.

misan
November 15, 2011 06:12PM
Gearotic Motion had detailed designs of T2.5 for 3D printers. Why don't you print them?
November 15, 2011 06:14PM
With potential tooth details being as small as they are, I'd prefer aluminum.

Perhaps once I get my printer fitted with the T2.5 stuff, I'd be able to print such items with confidence smiling smiley
November 15, 2011 11:16PM
going out on a $50 limb here. I found pulleys that have a 5mm bore and matching belts same width + enough length
the most difficult part was finding some in stock.

[sdp-si.com]
[sdp-si.com]
November 16, 2011 01:54PM
Yow! Them's steep!

I think I am about to answer my own question. I'll post and I think I'll let the links cook on the boards here for a bit before I execute the purchase:

Pulley:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#1375k35/=eymoph

Belt:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/117/1043/=eymdd7

Kinda wish they were urethane instead of neoprene, though. Seems to me that neoprene is more prone to break down over time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 01:56PM by TheCase.
November 16, 2011 04:39PM
Are you OK with reaming those to Ø5mm?
November 16, 2011 06:01PM
The datasheet for my stepper lists the shaft diameter at 4.5mm
November 16, 2011 08:52PM
I test printed a 16 tooth XML pulley with a pitch diameter of 10.3mm, and a 5mm hole. See attached. This part is a bit too small for my printer. I think a far smaller diameter nozzle is required, but I doubt that it would ever compete with an aluminum pulley.
Attachments:
open | download - Image25.jpg (406 KB)
November 17, 2011 11:01AM
The mendelmax webpage has some good info on choosing belts and pulleys. They're suggesting GT2 belts.

edit: oops forgot the link
[mendelmax.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 11:43AM by Buback.
November 17, 2011 11:11AM
TheCase Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The datasheet for my stepper lists the shaft
> diameter at 4.5mm

OK. You will have a small amount a wobble then. Maybe not enough to be significant to you.
November 18, 2011 07:21PM
the sdpsi ones i posted work as a set and are in stock. not cheap tho.
November 18, 2011 10:57PM
i use 12 tooth aluminium pulleys from beltingonline. I get them drilled and grub screwed but you can do this yourself easily.
November 19, 2011 01:33AM
Buback Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The mendelmax webpage has some good info on
> choosing belts and pulleys. They're suggesting GT2
> belts.
>
> edit: oops forgot the link
> [mendelmax.com]
> =Choosing+Belts+and+Pulleys

Has anyone used these belts and pulles on a Sell's Mendel? This sounds like a worthwhile modification.
November 19, 2011 02:57PM
This one:

[mendelmax.com]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
November 19, 2011 02:59PM
I ordered some for the X+Y...couldn't find any for the Z that would fit without mods (or changing the gear ratio too much). I will let you know how this works.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.Robosprout.com RepRap Mendel parts and accessories.
Message if there is anything you need...I have more than what is listed on my site.
Located in the Spokane, WA / Coeur d'Alene, ID area.
December 14, 2011 03:45PM
that 4.5mm spec was way off - I'm assuming it was for the flattened area on the shaft.

Sourced a 5mm drill bit. A couple minutes on the lathe, the pinions fit like gloves.

Dale, apparently, I am OK with reaming them out smiling smiley

I'm sometimes astounded by the amount of doubt and "you're doing it wrong" that occurs on this board... might go along with most of us being perfectionists to the point of OCD.

Don't get me wrong - the amount of kind and giving help here very much outweighs the negative. I've just never seen as much of it on similar boards...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2011 04:01PM by TheCase.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login