Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Internet censorship = No P2P exchange = No free speech = No more RepRap??

Posted by kyleeamonahern 
Internet censorship = No P2P exchange = No free speech = No more RepRap??
November 16, 2011 05:48PM
Today the United States Congress holds hearings on the first American internet censorship program, the Stop Online Piracy Act [SOPA].

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

– The First Amendment, United States Constitution

This was proposed after various uprisings by the people of authoritarian governments around the world. It's not that I don't agree with some of the points the Occupiers on Wallstreet are making, but I believe their methodology will cause many people to shut their ears to the valid issues at hand; more importantly they were kicked out of Central Park by Police yesterday, and Occupiers have made it clear that they have no intention of doing anything but raising the bar; on camera one of them said, "We are revolutionaries." I fear this will only further the cause of the government officials pushing for an internet censorship out of their fear of an upheaval.

Whether you think that P2P networks or freedom of information on the Web is about piracy or not, I can tell you that I would not be where I am now in the RepRap community had it not been for demonoid and the numerous free books and videos now in the public domain on P2P networks, and more importantly the free and open source software available all over the Web.

It is my belief that wide spread use of the RepRap will only result in wide spread awareness and acceptance of the open source movement. I know that I personally could not afford to be tinkering with a RepRap if it were not for Ubuntu and free programs like Blender. When enough people realize the true value of the RepRap, not only will they be more familiar with and accepting of the term "open source", but they will embrace the accompanying free open source software because why not run free software that is better and only helps the development of a free open source manufacturing machine; especially when the majority of people are struggling for money in these economies? Microsoft and other proprietary software companies will begin to crumble.

Software is not the only biliion dollar industry that is promised a tremendous loss by the RepRap. Manufactureres will not like the loss of business. Some engineering companies will certainly feel a loss by a decentralization of invention. Remember, internet censorship is all in the name of copyright. Now that tangible goods are being digitized by the RepRap, copyright will need even further protection in the eyes of the government and and an increasing list of other giant corporations. RepRap was founded and given birth out of copyleft, not copyright. From my observations of Thingiverse, and to my great surprise (and intial disappointment since I wanted to use the RepRap to make designs to sell), I saw that the idea of sharing, giving, and open source are deep seeded in the RepRap community. Communicating with the community via these forums has only backed that notion. Yet internet censorship directly declares war on free P2P exchange. The associated and to be associated companies with internet censorship already consider copyleft a threat, but RepRap will make it a force for them to reckon with.

Throughout history, all new technologies that facilitated the exchange of information and the power of the commoners were considered to be the devices of piracy. In the 17th century the Govenor of VIrginia once said, "Thank God there are no printing presses in Virginia [in response to the civil uprisings in Europe caused by pamphlets, a.k.a as "paper bullets" at the time] and there never will be as long as i'm govenor." TV networks were first considered a threat and to be piracy due to the freer flow of information. The VCR was considered to be piracy, along with video recorders when they first came out. When mp3's first arrived, lawsuits were filed to shut them down immediately. In the early days of the printing press in Paris, their was an elaborate system of censorship in place controlled by a book seller's guild that actually had police power, and decided what information people could and couldn't have; sound like what's happening today?

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

-Ben Franklin

Once again it is printing that is offering the layman more freedom than ever before. It is my belief that the RepRap brings full circle the individual freedom movement the printing presses began and the internet and many other technologies carried forward. The RepRap, the printing press of our age, will offer mankind a decentralization of power like that never witnessed before. Do not think the powers at be will readily pass the torch on to us, the people. How would you feel if you had built up an empire of power all your life that you felt was earned and was your right, and then someone threatens to take it from you? Had the RepRap not molded my opinion of open source, or had I been born in a slightly earlier time and spent my life building a corporate empire, who's to say I would not be on the censorship side?

The RepRap is under attack by internet censorship because our freedom to share, the foundation of copyleft itself, is under attack by internet censorship. Make no mistake, just like the pioneer printers of the past, they will call us pirates; they will say our technology is a threat to the economy itself. Ironically, an efficient economy implies the efficient distribution of resources, which the RepRap will make more possible than ever before.

We must flourish before the empires we threaten can nip RepRap in the bud. Diaspora has taken on a similar challenge of decentralization. It has taken on the goliath of facebook itself. Originating in 2010, it got intial funding from a website called kickstarter, which is a platform for crowdsourced funding. They asked for 10,000 dollars, instead total donations amounted to over 200,000 dollars. The reason they likely florished were due to the wide spread concerns at the time of facebook privacy. Zuckerburg himself claimed that privacy was something of the past. Diapora gives users control over their privacy, decentralizes the web hosting to anyone who wants to host, it is open source, and there is no advertising. The users make up the nodes and there is no hub users send their messages to before they arrive to their friends. With wide spread concerns over internet freedom now, I believe the world will be more ready and eager than ever before to learn of the RepRap. History has also proven that the printing press and "piracy" flourished even greater the more it was oppressed. At this point, I feel like waiting to give RepRap everything we got will only leave room for the RepRap virus to be quarantined. Paypal just recently froze Diaspora's funds without offering any explanation, but unfroze the accounts in due to public pressure. Someone with money must be against Diaspora. I think this event is just a foreshadow of what is to come with the RepRap. Read about it here. (Unfortunately, two days ago, one of the four founding members was found dead)

If you do not agree with the concerns I have voiced, that is perfectly fine. I think you all agree though that at one time or another, the RepRap needs to go viral. The wiki has done great things and as one thread has pointed out, has a tremendous increase in traffic. But it can be better. We can be much more organized. I think the first step is to establish an organized network where we can collaborate in real time and which better connects RepRappers separated by distance and actually connects the user groups within the wiki. A network that merges the advantages of closed source and open source. We must have a communication platform besides these forums. A chat room would be better, but something like google + with video conference capability would be best. No one I know has anything to do with the RepRap yet and I live in sort of a big city, St. Louis, Missouri. I know there are some people living here that have, but with the user group forums as the only means of first contact, collaboration and effective networking in my hometown seems to be a far-fetched idea. The only RepRappers I know of are the ones here in cyberspace, most likely separated by vast distances, and oceans. I propose google voice because distances aside, we will be able to collaborate and organize with other like minded RepRapers for free and as if we lived in the same area.

I have thought long and hard about posting something along these lines for awhile, but with today being the first day for an actual hearing of internet censorship in a supposedly free country, I had to do it now.

I want us to make the RepRap viral, a contagion that cannot be stopped. I want us to collaborate in real time on making the RepRap wiki a clearer, easier to navigate, easier to network, and more enticing site for noobs. Anyone is welcome, please comment if you are interested in participating and figuring out a way for us to better collaborate in real time. It is us and anyone in any open source community that are truly fighting the fight for individual rights and freedoms. This by far has been the most welcoming and kind community I have ever encountered.

You can contact me on this thread or via email at cowacorn@gmail.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 06:09PM by kyleeamonahern.
Re: Internet censorship = No P2P exchange = No free speech = No more RepRap??
November 17, 2011 03:17AM
If you start to think about how an eventual world war III would pop up ... there is only *one* country in the world which would start it. I would be surprised if any1 say he does *not* know which one that is. Its the country which acts as a "bully" against others, beat up smaller ones, steal their lunch / petroleum money, and agrees with the pilot throwing a rocket on the head of a civilian on a bicycle. And does all under the pretext of bringing democracy when in fact they dont have one to start with, themselves are ruled by what is called "corporato-cracy" where both candidates are sold in advance and represent same interests.

If you think this tampering with internet is a big thing - i think you havent thought properly about the big picture.
November 17, 2011 03:53AM
NoobMan
If you start to think about how an eventual world war III would pop up ... there is only *one* country in the world which would start it.

Are you delusional? Many countries have the capabilities of starting major military operations. It is estimated by NATO that if China would launch an all-out operation in Central Asia they will be able to cross the Ural mountains before there is any chance of stopping them.

Check out this list of number of troops per country. There are many countries that have more than 500000 active troops: [en.wikipedia.org]
November 17, 2011 04:15AM
Nobody is going to attack the DIY crowd. What will happen is what always happens. HP or some big conglomerate will muscle around huge amounts of resources and come out with a mass product that's better in most regards and costs half as much. Lol, then they'll make proprietary material for it...
November 17, 2011 04:27AM
sdevijver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you delusional?

I cant say this enough times: I certainly hope so.

> Many countries have the
> capabilities of starting major military
> operations. [...]

Anybody *could* start wars. In practice of last century, there is only one actually doing it (constantly). You think that means nothing?

There is always a difference between what one *can* do, and what *actually* does.
"can do" =/= "will do"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 04:31AM by NoobMan.
November 17, 2011 05:49AM
NoobMan
Anybody *could* start wars. In practice of last century, there is only one actually doing it (constantly). You think that means nothing?

Don't worry about the Germans: they don't have a big enough army and they have other things on their mind nowadays.
November 17, 2011 07:01AM
I like humor like any other person, i just dont see anything funny in this context.
November 17, 2011 10:53AM
Oh boy. Let's try to keep the politics out of this forum. If that's not possible, let's just agree that this bill is bad news, and if you're American, cell your congrsscritters. The EFF is all over this and they have a great tool that lets you send mail right to them. [www.eff.org]
November 17, 2011 11:46AM
Did anyone read the entire article I wrote? Maybe it was a bad idea to post it in that way.

My whole point is that the authorities are attacking digital piracy, the reprap takes digital piracy to a whole other level, so we need to make the reprap as wide spread as possible.

My intent was not at all to start a political debate, but rather "look what is happening, let's make this thing go viral!, and in order to do so, we must get more organized! To get more organized, we as a community must be better connected and avoid branching off like what makerbot is doing. One way to get more connected is to have a way for the community as a whole to communicate in real time (by that I mean instant messaging or video conferencing), regardless of your geographical location. This way even user groups themselves will remain connected."

I think richrap is along the same line of thinking when he said ,"Maybe what we could do with is a list of targets (goals) to all work towards . . . I know we already do this in our wonderful adhocracy - but it's hard to focus effort if it's not defined . . ." in the other forum. This is what I mean by let's combine the advantages of closed source with open source.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 12:29PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 12:34PM
How exactly does RepRap engage in piracy? What copyrighted material is being illegally copied?
November 17, 2011 12:41PM
It doesn't engage in piracy right now. But the reprap allows you to turn real world objects into digital files. We can right now 3d render all sorts of copyrighted or patented objects and then print them on our 3d printers. They may not be as useful, contain the moving parts yet, or be of the same material yet, but it will happen and when it does this will be viewed as a tremendous threat to copyrighted and patented material. The internet censorship laws would allow them to shut down websites like thingiverse or maybe even eventually the wiki itself. The bill gives the authorities the right to censor any website that engages in P2P exchange of any copyrighted material or that shows one how to. When viewing the potential of the RepRap this way, it seems to me that many powerful companies will have a strong distaste for it.
November 17, 2011 01:21PM
Can't you just share material that you own the copyright to, or is public domain, and in doing so avoid trouble? Or is the concern that they'll accuse you of violating their copyright even when they have no grounds for it, but you'll have to comply to avoid an expensive legal battle?
November 17, 2011 02:02PM
My point is that just as inevitable as it is that when a band produces a copyrighted song that it intends to sell, but it appears on P2P networks to be pirated, it is as inevitable that when the reprap becomes more widespread, more and more people will take 3d renders of trademarked, patented, copyrighted objects in the real world and offer then as digital files on P2P networks. Why? Because people can and people want free stuff. Before just book writers, musicians, and movie makers had to worry about digital piracy, now due to the nature of the reprap, anyone in the world who copyrights anything has to worry about it. The censorship bill is an aim to prevent the sharing of copyrighted info, and it is clear that they can shut sites down that has any involvement in sharing copyrighted material or any information on how to pirate copyrighted material. How is this not a threat to the RepRap? So many companies aim to lose from it anyway, but add the sharing of copyrighted physical objects and just about any company in the world aims to lose from it. That puts a lot of money behind hindering piracy and therefore the RepRap itself, and through the SOPA bill, the first indirect major legal action to do so is in the works. The best way to prevent this is to quickly get the RepRap as wide spread as possible.

Doesn't everyone agree that the wiki and communication between us could be more organized anyway? and that it should be more organized anyway? Afterall, that is the main purpose I am getting at.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 02:13PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 04:31PM
RepRap does not condone piracy! We specifically open source our work and copyright it in such a way that others may freely use and copy it, and thus piracy is not needed.

At some point the pirate bay will get a new category called "Models for 3D printing", but so what? The individuals wishing to use their RepRap to print copyrighted objects, and thus risk getting in trouble, are free to do so. In most countries it's not illegal at all to duplicate copyrighted objects for your own personal use anyway.

The main goal of RepRap (as I see it) is not to print objects, but to print printers that can print objects. The information on our wiki can not be touched, we own the copyright ourselves. Sure, somebody might upload some files to the wiki that are copyrighted, but it's no big deal to remove those. Thingiverse might get in some trouble, but thingiverse has no legal ties to RepRap.

Besides, RepRap has already grown so much it can't be stopped.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 17, 2011 06:21PM
This makes me sad. I still don't think anybody here has heard me. It does not matter what RepRap condones. It does not matter how righteous our attempt is. I'll repeat this again: Let's do something about better communication between us in order to better organize the effort.

RepRap does not condone piracy! We specifically open source our work and copyright it in such a way that others may freely use and copy it, and thus piracy is not needed.

Did mp3 players condone copyright infringement? Did TV condone copyright infringement? The list goes on and on. Maybe things are looking better for other countries, but in the U.S. it sure does not. That bill proposes an unchecked power to censor U.S. citizens, I think it would be foolhardy to think they wouldn't censor legitimate sites when it would be in the best interest of lots of people with lots of money. In fact its money from MPAA that has bought the ability for such a ridiculous bill. Do you think other governments would not follow with such bills? We certainly are following China's Great FIrewall.

At some point the pirate bay will get a new category called "Models for 3D printing", but so what? The individuals wishing to use their RepRap to print copyrighted objects, and thus risk getting in trouble, are free to do so. In most countries it's not illegal at all to duplicate copyrighted objects for your own personal use anyway.

And do not doubt the power of the U.S. The Pirate Bay was Switzerland based, and not illegal by the Switzerland law, yet the U.S. somehow managed to seize Pirate Bay servers and shut it down momentarily against the will of the Swiss government.

The main goal of RepRap (as I see it) is not to print objects, but to print printers that can print objects. The information on our wiki can not be touched, we own the copyright ourselves. Sure, somebody might upload some files to the wiki that are copyrighted, but it's no big deal to remove those. Thingiverse might get in some trouble, but thingiverse has no legal ties to RepRap.

Right, so when people can print copyrighted objects thanks to the RepRap then what? The bill allows for a site to be censored that aids in piracy. Sorry but the RepRap does in fact aid piracy. It does not matter how effective this first attempt is to stop piracy, what matters is it's the beginning of a gradual decline of inalienable rights in the name of security. I believe the U.S. is and will be a big contributor for the RepRap, so I think this is everyone's concern.

Besides, RepRap has already grown so much it can't be stopped.

How do you know this? As I said above, history has shown these kinds of technologies only to flourish under oppression, and I believe we can, but we must do our best. One thing is different about the RepRap though. It relies on mass connectivity to be developed. The printing press was already developed enough to serve its full purpose. One more thing, the technologies of today allow for mass observation by governments, unlike the 17th century.

I do not think we can declare it unstoppable until it can print metal and electronic hardware; complete replication ability.

Edit: substitute Switzerland with Sweden, oops

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 09:29PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 07:57PM
Of course it matters what RepRap condones. Someone not educated in what RepRap is, might think it aids and support piracy, sure. But to claim it as a fact based on what those non educated people think, is both utterly wrong, pessimistic and does nothing good to your case at all.

Printers aren't outlawed even though they can print copyrighted books, mp3 players aren't outlawed even though you can listen to pirated music on them, and computers aren't outlawed though you can break pretty much every copyright law there is with one. There are absolutely zero reason for 3d printers to be made illegal.

Part of the strength in RepRap comes from being decentralized. There are no "leader", there are no meetings to add bureaucy, as said elsewhere "RepRap doesn't do 'official'". Dr Bowyer owns the reprap.com domain, and that's pretty much that. RepRap is not a typical organization, it's an idea, a goal, much like Linux is.

Already RepRap designs exist on thousands upon thousands of computers all over the world, all of them tinker and work on making it better. There are 700k+ results for "reprap" in google, reprap.org has 25k+ unique daily visitors and are valued at $3,136,875, and it's growing at an insane rate. In a worst case scenario, makerbot, ultimachine or bfb could be shut down pretty easy. They have a location to go, people in charge to arrest talk to, they have shops and centralized webpages. How would one go about shutting RepRap down? I repeat myself, but your wish of RepRap going "viral" is already fulfilled. I stand with my claim that RepRap has already grown so much it can't be stopped.

As time pass by the structure of RepRap will become more and more loose. I had a hard time accepting this at first, but I believe this is where RepRaps greatest strength and road to success lies. This is also why I think trying to organize worldwide RepRap users against an U.S. bill, would do more harm than good.

I'm probably acting part in ignorance with this post, as politics doesn't interest me the slightest bit. By all means, everyone should act according to their beliefs of what is right and wrong in such matters, I am not questioning what you want to achieve. But I for one prefer to spend my time "doing actual work" on my RepRaps. smiling smiley

This is an interesting discussion, and even though I may sound rather harsh, I mean absolutely no offense to the people engaged in the Internet censorship protest. You are doing a great job, information wants to, and should be, free.

PS: Oh and the pirate bay was located in sweden. winking smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 17, 2011 08:03PM
The RepRap is a social movement. While this is not directly about politics, politics do have an effect on the RepRap.

I'm sorry that I said the wrong country, one could easily see how those names could be temporarily mixed up in one's head.

Do the forums give the RepRap bureaucracy? Do user groups add bureaucracy to the RepRap? This is a community effort. The community could be better connected.

This is not about organization against a bill, that would be ridiculous to involve RepRap in political issues right now, and anti RepRap. This is about organizing goals and communication about the RepRap. One of the advantages of closed source is organization. That is one weak point of open source. I do not mean organization of leadership.

If you read that forum you will see that I have posted in it a few times.

I guess I should not have mentioned the bill, oh well, but I saw that as a need for urgency, and honestly I am somewhat stunned that no one else does.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 08:15PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 08:16PM
Oh and printers were outlawed before.
November 17, 2011 08:17PM
Please elaborate. How is government control (or them allowing others such control) of internet censorship, not politics?

I honestly think it would benefit RepRap more if I (and others) continued to work on spreading it. The other option would be me just being another angry voice on the internet. Again, not saying internet censorship isn't a bad thing, but how could I have the slightest influence on a bill issued in a different country?

Edit: Well, this post makes little sense now as you edited the post I tried to answer. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 08:19PM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 17, 2011 08:19PM
I do not know how I have seemed angry. You are the only one that has used harsh language as you yourself said. Politics affect people's freedom. The RepRap is about freedom, not free prints.
November 17, 2011 08:22PM
I never said anything about influencing the bill. Working on spreading the RepRap is exactly what we need. We spread the RepRap through communication with one another. Therefore, we need to facilitate better communication.
November 17, 2011 08:37PM
>Edit: Well, this post makes little sense now as you edited the post I tried to answer.

Sorry sometimes I hit post before I am ready, actually often I do. Another reason real time communication would be better, eh?
November 17, 2011 08:48PM
By the way I myself never focus on politics either because I feel it just adds unnecessary friction in our lives that takes away from the things we really do that really make a difference and change the world; like building a RepRap; as I have said earlier. [you would see that I also have elaborated on other points you brought up if you had read my earlier posts in their entirety; and edits were not the reason for you missing them.winking smiley]
November 17, 2011 09:40PM
You misunderstand, I never meant you were an angry voice at all. But the only thing I (from my situation) could do against a foreign political bill, would be to "be angry on the internet". It can be very fun, but seldom very helpful. winking smiley

I read your posts (especially the first one) as very opposed to the internet censorship bill and similar laws in general, and if influencing or counteracting such a bill or internet censorship was not your goal with the post, what was it really? I must have misinterpreted it something awful, and missed several points, and for that I apologize sincerely.

Moving on to communication issues:

I still think we have to accept it as a fact that RepRap will never be a regular single organized group, and we will not communicate with the world in a single voice. If we make a very rough approximation of 100k people (with 25k individual visitors every day, that could very well be feasible) in the world being interested in RepRap at this very moment. How would one go about organizing such a massive group, without adding leaders, hierarchy and thus politics and bureaucracy? We wouldn't even be able to agree on one single thing or design, without someone putting on the leader hat, and that is why I love, and others hate, RepRap.

RepRap is - and I believe always is going to be - organized through several smaller communities, often geographically based. The perhaps largest "group" is present in the IRC chatroom. But even among the group frequenting #reprap, goals and ideas often clash; mostly we manage to be pretty polite about it though. winking smiley I have myself teamed up with a couple of guys to pick out and design parts for a RepRap that we will print, support and do localized documentation for. Why not use the "official design" you ask? Because there are no official design, and there are some minor details we don't agree on with some of the more popular printers.

Of course this doesn't answer how to improve communication, but perhaps it explains my personal view on why there are some issues, and why we perhaps shouldn't try to "fix" them?

Again, not saying RepRap wouldn't benefit massively from shouting out in unison against internet censorship and limiters on p2p exchange and free speech. I just don't see how it could happen without damaging what makes RepRap so great.

I see now we have the same view on politics, I also prefer to build RepRaps. Again, I'm sorry for not reading the whole thread in detail, and misunderstanding your point; there are quite some limits to forums, yes. Feel free to drop by IRC some time, and we'll have a live chat instead. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 09:42PM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 17, 2011 09:49PM
They don't outlaw the pen in an effort to curb plagiarism...
November 17, 2011 10:14PM
Noodel, LISTEN TOO ME!!!!!!

No just kidding Nudel ... seriously kidding

Very tactful approach, you have calmed my inner emotions, and I have listened to you. I agree that a centralization of RepRap would be bad. I agree that it's best separated for the reasons you have explained.

My question to you (and the overall point of this thread): Do you think that the ability for us to be able to communicate in real time, as an option when people arrive on the wiki, to be a good idea? Not to substitute out the forums but as an alternative? My thought is that it can facilitate a quicker spread of ideas. It can prevent friction for newbies. After all, the advantages of every new social networking platform on the web are a result of connecting people over vast distances, and connecting them quicker than could be done before. It is my opinion that we will realize those same advantages, and it would facilitate quicker friendships than having to get to know someone on here, then invite them as a friend on facebook or Diaspora (or other platforms) when it would no longer be awkward to, and then only being able to talk to them in real time on those platforms and not on the wiki and at the exclusion of others; mainly newbs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 10:16PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 10:37PM
Oh I am guilty of what I charged you of Nudel. I don't know what IRC chats are. I have not looked them up (another reason I think embedding some sort of live chat into the website would be better). I see your point on clashing ideas, but I never meant for their to be centralized designs just some overall goals for some but not all, kind of like I would say their is a main goal for self-replication, and maybe it should be the only main goal.

My purpose on pressing the censorship bill as an issue is that I think it calls for urgency of RepRap spread, and I still disagree with you on the fact that it will hinder the RepRap, but I agree that it will not stop it. I never wanted the community to speak out about the bill, but I did want to try to get the community to be more connected. It sounds like I have not done enough research myself [speaking of the IRC channels].

And jcomp### I think you should read the above messages. Devices that offered new abilities similar to that of 3d printers have been outlawed and have been attempted to be outlawed. One more thing, with the bill being proposed, they would not have to outlaw RepRap, but just censor the website to U.S. citizens. Sure that wouldn't stop it.

Edit: centralized idea to centralized design

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2011 11:04PM by kyleeamonahern.
November 17, 2011 11:25PM
K,

You make valid points. nudel does too.

quote:
"wood put together"
November 18, 2011 10:16AM
kyleeamonahern Wrote:
> My question to you (and the overall point of this
> thread): Do you think that the ability for us to
> be able to communicate in real time, as an option
> when people arrive on the wiki, to be a good idea?

Are you volunteering to speak and explain RepRap face-to-face through g+ with a couple of thousand new users ever day? Kidding aside, it could be a nice option, absolutely. But I still think most people would prefer text chat over video chat with strangers, and that's why we have IRC. smiling smiley More videos and vlogs are always welcome though, as video information is much easier to digest.

I still think the best way to learn about RepRap is to go to someones house (or a hackerspace), see a printer in action, get a set of printed parts and have the person help you build it.

The second best way is to acquire the information yourself, it's time consuming but there are several guides. Like this one [reprapbook.appspot.com] and the excellent "Still Extruding" series: [www.youtube.com]

I really like the bot in the IRC channel, as it's easy and fast to update it with the newest information. I have made a quick guide to teach beginners how to get to know kthx. [localhostr.com] (It's only a draft, and thus shouldn't be published in its current form).

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login