Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My FIRST successful PRINT!

Posted by jkomp316 
My FIRST successful PRINT!
November 25, 2011 07:12AM
[www.youtube.com]

I had to show it off. Humble beginnings I guess. I changed my table and hot end. I'm still running a cold table so there's little adhesion issues yet. Rubbing alcohol seems to help.

The hot end is a concoction. Its a drilled mig tip in an aluminum block. The screws are holding the tip and resistor. All that is just threaded into 3/4" PTFE. I drove two nails through the PTFE and have an aluminum plate that's squishing against them holding it to the extruder. It's not the prettiest out there but it's a start. And its currently working... My first hot end ruptured at the PTFE from an overfeed/coldfeed issue. This one just skips the hobbed bolt so far.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone in the community for providing the info to accomplish such a project.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 07:23AM by jkomp316.
Re: My FIRST successful PRINT!
November 25, 2011 09:41PM
Good Work! I know how that feels. Even after buying a "full kit" from a company, you have to purchase and put more hours than expected to get the results you want.
checkout my blog for stuff related to the reprap Huxley: www.omemon.com

I hope you enjoy your continuation in this community! cool smiley
November 25, 2011 10:32PM
I'd like to build a Huxley next. There seems to be less info available about that model though, that's why I chose Prusa for a non-kit build. I think the Huxley design is a bit superior if at the trade off of more parts. I'm only getting about 150x160mm print area out of my Prusa right now.

I use pronterface and skeinforge. Skeinforge took a bit of educating, but I think its added control is a benefit. You can tune things more to your individual machine.
November 26, 2011 06:02AM
Nice work jkomp! I remember getting my first print after about 5 straight days of working on my printer from 6 in the afternoon till about 3 in the morning. Mind you it was a hideous glob of PLA. but the steppers were humming and the gcode was flowing... my grades haven't been the same since.

Stay calm out there.

bdc
November 26, 2011 07:55AM
Well done! It's pretty exciting when your own creation starts making "stuff", isn't it?!

My only advice? Don't worry about "pretty" - it's the functionality that counts. I don't know about everyone else - but I don't WANT my RepRap to look like I bought it from an electrical appliance store!

Follow my Mendel Prusa build here: [julianh72.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login