Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Sweet Sound of Printing

Posted by bdcannon 
The Sweet Sound of Printing
November 25, 2011 09:06PM
Hey Everyone,

I tried doing a little bit of research on this but I didn't find a particular answer. I'm sure everyone can hear the difference between a Ramps driven printer versus something like the sound of a Makerbot printing. Printers driven by Ramps seem to have a hum and ,what I believe is the Gen6 electronics, correct me if I'm wrong have a clicking sound. Is any one privy to why this is.

Not really a problem or anything just curious.

Stay calm out there.

bdc
Re: The Sweet Sound of Printing
November 25, 2011 09:25PM
My Sanguinololu board causes the motors to hum too. Depending on the part, it sometimes sounds like a song. Maybe it's just me. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Roy
November 26, 2011 04:29AM
Different microstepping makes for different sounds. 16th stepping with ramps/sang is generally more pleasant and quiet than other options.

I really like the different songs my printers sing, depending on speed. Try printing a large cone, perimeter only, with cool set to a high layer time (30sec?). Should bring out a whole range of vocals. smiling smiley

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 26, 2011 05:58AM
Yeah figured that it had to be something with the microstepping. Circles are definitely my favorite. The different acceleration rates also make interesting sounds.

Stay calm out there.

bdc
November 26, 2011 12:16PM
Here's someone who took this concept a bit too far grinning smiley
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login