Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

troubleshooting

Posted by grog 
troubleshooting
November 27, 2011 08:41PM
So we have a reprap Prusa almost all assembled. Just need to make the wire connections to the stepper motors and opto sensor permanent and connect the resistor and thermistor to its wires.

We’re trying to do the x y z tests and we can’t get it to do anything. I’ve tried to find a troubleshooting guide, but what I’ve been able to find have been to address parts moving in an unexpected way, poor print quality or trying to change the SW. I haven’t been able to find how to troubleshoot when it doesn’t do anything.

An Arduino board functions fine on the same USB port and cable so we know that is working.
We’ve tried using the reprap host SW, Pronterface, and ReplicatorG (which wouldn’t even launch) to try to run the test.

If you could please direct me to a web location or give me suggestions on what to try, I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Specs:
Win XP (yea, well, the computer was free from my Dad) computer.
Gen6 Electronics
Hot end J-Head Mk IV-B
Confirmed power supply is putting out 12v
Opto sensors & flags are installed.
Have a heated bad, but haven’t done any connections to it so it wouldn’t affect anything.
Python 2.7.x is installed
Re: troubleshooting
November 27, 2011 09:24PM
your end stops are connected? If not try connecting them and try again. When I built mine I had the same problem, but then connected the endstops and it started working.

Roy
November 27, 2011 10:30PM
November 27, 2011 10:53PM
Yes, the endstops are connected and the flags are attached.

Firmware, didn't modify was preloaded - Arduino Bootloader and Sprinter Firmware.
November 27, 2011 10:58PM
Have you double checked that the baud rate is set the same in SFW as in firmware? Do you know what the firmware baud rate is? In Pronterface do you get it to connect, but not move or does it not connect at all?
November 27, 2011 11:02PM
Using Gen6? Try Repsnapper software and install the FTDI drivers for the USB port

November 27, 2011 11:16PM
bryanandaimee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you double checked that the baud rate is set the same in SFW as in firmware?
>Do you know what the firmware baud rate is?
Don't know how to check.

>In Pronterface do you get it to connect, but not move or does it not connect at all?
My mistake, we didn't try Pronterface yet. We tried RepSnapper and that didn't launch. ReplicatorG wouldn't see it. I'm not sure if the reprap host SW is seeing it or not. (sorry, frustrating evening)

Tried changing baud rate in reprap host sw to 9600 (host sw defaults to 115200) because the device manager sets the com port properties to 9600. Then got an error in the "G Code Write Wait Response) about a "dud response:1/4 - ?"
November 27, 2011 11:48PM
Baud rate is set in config.h most likely and I doubt it's 9600. You'll have to dive into the config.h file of your firmware eventually as you start to tune your machine so now's the time. And do try pronterface, it's the easiest to get talking and moving stuff with IMHO. I think there's even a precompiled version (It can be a bit of a pain chasing down all the packages to install but it's not bad)

So here's your homework. Get into your sprinter firmware folder and open the config.h file in wordpad or arduino software. Read through all of it, read it again, find your baud rate.

Get pronterface installed and running. Set it to your com port and baud rate.

Hit the connect button.

After that I'm betting you'll be jogging axes in no time.

Good luck
November 28, 2011 08:53PM
Got Pronterface and needed apps installed.
Set the baud rate.
We can now get all of the motors to turn. Whee!
So we need to reverse the extruder wires, but no big deal.

The Z motors will turn if not attached to the rods, but when we tighten the coupler they buzz but won't turn. We tried turning by hand and it seems easy, but I don't know if the motors think it is too much load. The motors aren't secured into the frame right now to make sure they weren't getting out of square.
Would this be where I need to find the instructions on how to turn up the current to the Z motors?

Thanks for the help, we're further along.
November 29, 2011 08:26PM
We turned up the current to the Z motor and applied some lubricant to the threaded rods (not WD-40). The Z axis now moves!
Just have to reverse the wiring for most of the plugs. Not sure why the Y axis moves as expected (assuming the diagram in Pronterface is representative of reality) but the others all need to be reversed.
Now to attached the wiring to the hot end and see if it heats. Then we can do calibration. I'm sure that will only take 5-10 min, right?

Thanks again for your help.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login