Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Running pronterface.py on Mac OS X Lion

Posted by owad 
Running pronterface.py on Mac OS X Lion
December 01, 2011 04:30PM
Some of us have run into issues running pronterface.py on Mac OS X Lion. I believe the problem occurs when python is in 64-bit mode and wxPython in 32-bit.

I installed this version of wxPython: [superb-sea2.dl.sourceforge.net]

And run pronterface.py with this command:

arch -i386 python pronterface.py

And that seems to work! digifab confirmed that the same setup works for him. Post here if you have problems, and I'll try to follow up.
Re: Running pronterface.py on Mac OS X Lion
December 01, 2011 08:57PM
Same thing here. This is what I do:

export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes; /Applications/Printrun/pronterface.py
December 02, 2011 08:40PM
Hello had massive problems trying to get this working now thanks to you I have, Just wanted to know if anyone knew hoe to write a BASH script for running "arch -i386 python pronterface.py" from a single click. I know this is probably ridiculously easy just a bit of a beginner at these thing.
Cheers
December 02, 2011 08:46PM
alias pronterface='/usr/bin/arch -i386 python pronterface.py'

Stick that in a file called .bash_profile in your home directory.
December 02, 2011 08:55PM
Oh wait, I misread that. If you want to launch it with the Finder you'd do something like:

nano launch

Then paste in the following:

#!/bin/sh
arch -i386 python /path/to/pronterface.py

Then make it executable:

chmod ugo+x launch
December 02, 2011 09:24PM
Can't seem to make it work, I do as above save out the file from nano launch, when I try and open it it opens in xcode, so I changed the it to a .command, now it opens in terminal but says

Last login: Sat Dec 3 02:18:53 on ttys004
Benedikt-Tansers-MacBook-Pro:~ benedikttanser$ /Users/benedikttanser/Documents/Printrun/launch.command ; exit;
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: can't open file 'Pronterface.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory
logout

[Process completed]
December 02, 2011 09:45PM
I'm guessing you didn't fully properly specify the path to pronterface.py

You'll want a path that looks something like:

/Users/stanleytanser/printrun/pronterface.py
December 02, 2011 10:24PM
Ok thanks will give it a go and see what happens, I have just relies that Pronterface on the MAC does not have the same interface as when it is running on my PC, I have lost the arrow buttons that allow you to move the print head around when nothing is printing. Is anyone else suffering from this?
December 03, 2011 02:35AM
Yes, I was too. You need to reinstall the 32-bit version of wxwidgets.
December 03, 2011 11:24AM
Could you send me the link to 32-bit wx widets for mac, cant seem to find it is it a standalone installer? Thanks
December 06, 2011 07:50PM
This tracks to my experience and now my pronterface with OS X Lion is pretty stable. From within Terminal, I navigate to the Printrun folder, execute the 32 bit override and start pronterface (python pronterface.py).

However, I'm limited to using Sprinter for my firmware. I got Marlin to work a couple of times early on, but now it never connects whereas Sprinter always connects.

Oh well, I'm printing. winking smiley
December 06, 2011 11:17PM
You've solved my problems!
Thanks!!!!!
February 26, 2012 12:52AM
Since I just installed pronterface on my Mac so I could control two RepRaps (I usually use my linux laptop for RepRap stuff) I thought I'd throw in a little AppleScript trick too..

To make a pretty Application that looks real to MacOSX but actually just runs a script, do this:
Launch AppleScript Editor (Applications->Utilities), create a new script, and have its contents be:

do shell script "export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes; python /path/to/where/you/put/Printrun/pronterface.py"

Run it first to make sure it works, then Save As and save it as an Application.

Then, you can click on the new Application, Get Info, click the icon in the upper left, and paste whatever icon you want onto it, so it looks like a real app.

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
February 26, 2012 11:31AM
Or you can use the native OSX app Kliment now offers for Pronterface:

[koti.kapsi.fi]

It also works fine with the Mountain Lion preview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2012 11:32AM by johnbiehler.

[johnbiehler.com]
February 26, 2012 05:54PM
Thanks John. I have been trying to connect to a gen6 board from Lion with pronterface (this version and the latest run from the command line). I am not able to connect but I can connect from windows prontorface (same version). Very frustrating since I really wanted to do this from my OSX box sitting on my desk and not down in my shop.

Any suggestions? I have the most recent driver installed and set speed to 38400 baud just like on windows. I just get "Connecting..." and nothing else, no timeout or anything.

regards,
Michael

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2012 07:44AM by mhackney.
February 26, 2012 07:13PM
I initially downloaded the binary, but couldn't figure out where to put skeinforge, so I went with the github version.
sad smiley

--Jeff Keegan (Just Another RepRap blog)
February 27, 2012 11:13AM
Sorry...I've got no experience with Gen 6 electronics...I'm using RAMPS 1.4 @ 250000 baud (previously 115000).

I didn't have to install any drivers on my setup although I had previously used Arduino software which comes with everything I believe.

Sounds like your ports aren't configured/chosen correctly if you're just getting "Connecting..."

[johnbiehler.com]
March 17, 2012 12:00PM
Just wanted to check in and see if you had come up with anything on this? I"m just hooking up my setup too, and running into the same problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login