Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

offline documentation/wiki?

Posted by Wade 
offline documentation/wiki?
April 17, 2008 05:26PM
I saw some discussion on this in the archives, but couldn't find any good answers. Does anyone have a good system for downloading a large chunk of the documentation wiki for offline reading? Internet and power are not always available here, and I'm going slightly insane trying to read the whole wiki - by the time I finish one page, the local internet dies, and I have to wait hours before I can connect again. Once I'm connected though, things are relatively fast, 15 kBs, fast for the 3rd world anyway. I managed to download and run the livecd over the course of a week, but there's not much for documentation that I can find there either.

Thanks for any help. I'm looking forward to having a solid connection soon.

Wade
Re: offline documentation/wiki?
April 17, 2008 06:44PM
Do you mind if I ask where you are? I just think its cool that RepRap has reached the 3rd world, or maybe that you brought it there with you.

Jay
April 17, 2008 08:14PM
Dominican Republic, apparently.
April 18, 2008 10:48AM
You got it Forrest, Cabarete to be exact! I'm just visiting, enjoying the wind, back to Canada all too soon. It's an interesting place - only the wealthy can afford garbage collection here. Everyone else just throws their trash wherever. Seeing all the abs plastic on the beach makes me think these folks could really use some sort of local recycling program.

Some photos of the place here [picasaweb.google.com]. Beautiful place!

Think I may have answered my own question - found some web page downloading software at [debian.httrack.com]. Just working out how to install it on Xandros right now.
April 18, 2008 01:36PM
Sweet, webhttrack worked! Took a few tries, but setting the link depth to 2, not downloading anything over 2MB, and letting it run for an hour gave me a snapshot of the Documentation wiki that works offline. Now I've got something to keep me busy when the net (or the power) is out. Of course, now that I have an offline version of the wiki, my net connection is up and stable. Hope it stays like that for a bit.

BTW, the Eeepc is great for this kind of stuff - it's screen is small, but the battery last for more than 4 hours if you're just reading stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login