Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print is mirrored??

Posted by ahbtsang 
print is mirrored??
January 09, 2012 09:22PM
I realised all my prints are mirrored.. is there some setting that I did wrong?

When displaying in repetier, the gcode looked fine, its only when the model is being printed, it is mirrored..

any help would be appreciated.

many thanks.
Adrian
Re: print is mirrored??
January 09, 2012 09:43PM
You probably have your X axis backwards. Looking from the front of the machine, the X endstop should be on the left. If its on the right, you should move it to the left and invert the X direction in firmware. Or it could be the same problem with Y axis. The stop there should be on the front of the machine. Same fix, move the endstop and invert the axis.

Theoretically, you could also fix this by telling the firmware to use a max rather than min endstop and inverting the axis. Im not sure which firmwares can easily be configured that way.
January 09, 2012 09:53PM
Or, you have your X and Y steppers reversed. Turn off power and swap the X and Y plugs on yr board and try that.
January 10, 2012 08:47PM
Or, if the mirror is only on one axis, flip the connector of the motor. This will effectively reverse direction.
January 10, 2012 09:53PM
jcabrer:

you mean to reverse the two loops of the stepper motor, so basically flipping the 4 pins around??

It is quite weird, because when looking directly to the Prusa with Y-motor in front, all axes seem to be in the right orientation.. ie:

in any host software:

-x goes to the left
+x goes to the right
-y print bed goes toward me
+y print bed goes away from me
-z down
+z up
January 10, 2012 10:13PM
The bed should go away from you for -y moves.
January 11, 2012 09:41AM
You will also need to move limit switch if you reverse the motor. The Y limit switch should be at the back.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 11, 2012 01:02PM
is there anyway, by changing the firmware, without moving the endstop and use it to home to max y??

I've been messing around with the firmware and when the y endstop was triggered, it still moves in +y position, but not -y position. I also plugged the endstop to +y instead of -y.. but still result.

reason i dont want to move the endstop is because the wire isnt long enough...
January 11, 2012 03:20PM
ahbtsang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> is there anyway, by changing the firmware, without
> moving the endstop and use it to home to max y??
>
> I've been messing around with the firmware and
> when the y endstop was triggered, it still moves
> in +y position, but not -y position. I also
> plugged the endstop to +y instead of -y.. but
> still result.
>
> reason i dont want to move the endstop is because
> the wire isnt long enough...

You can change direction in the firmware. Look in configuration.h

// Inverting axis direction
#define INVERT_X_DIR false
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR false

just change true to false and false to true to change the direction you want to invert.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 11, 2012 03:39PM
I tried that, but when the end stop was hit (i pressed it with my finger), the plate could still move to +y (towards me).. I even set the homing direction to 1 (MAX)...

im using RAMPS 1.3, I changed the firmware pins at Y MAX endstop from -1 to 15, but it still doesnt stop the motor.. I also tried, on RAMPS board, plugging the endstop to y max instead of y min.. when I did that, the plate couldnt move to -y direction at all...

Right now, it is working as if the endstop is placed at the back of the printer, opposite to the Y motor.. does that mean when a print is finished.. the print plate will get moved to the back? That will be a pain having to reach under the hot end to get my model sad smiley
January 11, 2012 05:20PM
ahbtsang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried that, but when the end stop was hit (i
> pressed it with my finger), the plate could still
> move to +y (towards me).. I even set the homing
> direction to 1 (MAX)...
>
I hope you have set
#define ALWAYS_CHECK_ENDSTOPS true
otherwise the endstop is only checked during homing.

> im using RAMPS 1.3, I changed the firmware pins at
> Y MAX endstop from -1 to 15, but it still doesnt

As I understand, you have a Y axis with Y-Endstop at max position. The correct setting should be
#define Y_MIN_PIN -1 // 14
#define Y_MAX_PIN 15 //15 if plugged in y-max slot.
#define Y_HOME_DIR 1

then set
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true or false
so that the bed moves for positive y values towards your endstop.

> stop the motor.. I also tried, on RAMPS board,
> plugging the endstop to y max instead of y min..
> when I did that, the plate couldnt move to -y
> direction at all...

If you set Y_MAX_PIN to 15 you need to put it on the y-max slot.
If you can't move in the direction also the endstop is not triggered, you have to change
#define ENDSTOPS_INVERTING false

How is you x-axis doing? Does it work as expected including the endstop.

If you are homing to y-max, make sure to set
#define Y_MAX_LENGTH 200
to a value that is possible. After homing to y-max the firmare assumes, this is position Y_MAX_LENGTH and also assumes it can move that distance back to 0.

>
> Right now, it is working as if the endstop is
> placed at the back of the printer, opposite to the
> Y motor.. does that mean when a print is
> finished.. the print plate will get moved to the
> back? That will be a pain having to reach under
> the hot end to get my model sad smiley

That depends on your code send after finishing the print. If you send a home (G28 X0 Y0) it will go to the homing directions endstops.
If you finish with somthing like
G1 X100 Y0
It will stop at this coordinates. In Repetier-Host you can set a dispose position and say to go to this position after finishing the print.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
January 11, 2012 06:54PM
I did have the same problem with my Y-axis (I put the end-stop in the MAX position without really knowing it or telling it to the firmware, where it was acting as Y_MIN). My prints were mirrored too. I fiddle with Sprinter firmware for a while but I've got the [may be wrong] impression that I had to choose either MIN or MAX for all my endstops at once. I did not find a way for homing at (X_MIN,Y_MAX) while my printing knowing it was at that coordinate instead at (X_MIN, Y_MIN).

So I just moved the Y_MIN endstop to the other side and everything was solved.

misan
February 13, 2012 12:09PM
Andrew Smith:
> Or it could be the same problem with Y axis. The stop there should be on the front of the machine.
> The bed should go away from you for -y moves

Does not these 2 statements conflict? If stop on Y is on the front then min position on Y is on front. Then -Y should go towards me. What am I missing?
anon
February 13, 2012 12:18PM
Yeah, I had my machine backwards for that first post and got confused. The stop should be at the rear.
February 13, 2012 12:24PM
misan
> I did have the same problem with my Y-axis (I put the end-stop in the MAX position without really knowing it or telling it to the firmware, where it was acting as Y_MIN). My prints were mirrored too.

You are not alone.

I got it. It is not very clear (looks like not only for me) where is the front of the printer. Damn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2012 12:38PM by rGlory.
February 13, 2012 12:37PM
rGlory:
I guess that when a bunch of people make the same mistake it could be due to instructions being [a bit] misleading. But the beauty about this community is that anyone can edit a wiki and most guys managing documents in other formats are quite happy being helped.

I guess you already have it right, but just in case: The +Y direction is from the back of the machine towards the Y-axis motor (that should be in the front, at least for this paragraph to make sense). Y=0 is when your bed is further away from the y-axis stepper motor. This way, the left of the x-axis will contain the x-axis endstop. Leftmost x-axis is X=0. And I guess there is a common agreement that hotend touching the bed is Z=0 and from there up is +Z.

However, I've installed my y-axis endstop on the left smooth rod instead of on the right one (as suggested above). This is because I put my electronics on the left side of the machine...

misan
February 13, 2012 06:20PM
I did the same thing on my build.
Its a lot lot easier to just move them to the opposite sides.

I spent a few hours to get the software to work as well as manually moving the endstop connections on the ramps board. In the end i gave up and just moved the endstops.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
February 13, 2012 11:49PM
I had my Y backwards too.

I noticed the prints were opposite front-back to the image on Pronterface.

Fixed my end stop and flipped the Y cable.

Now the prints where right, but I coulden't figure out why when you hit the Y- Down arrow, the bead would move away from you.

Then it hit me!!!

The target arrangement on Pronterface Isn't in relation to the bead. It's in relation to the PRINT HEAD!!!

Now it all made sense to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login