Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

123d make

Posted by krupukbwg 
123d make
January 14, 2012 06:59AM
Hello everyone,

some times ago when i was browsing i just found that autodesk have launch some software to handle 3d parts, i was interesting with 123d make, it can turn our 3d model into a flat part layer by layer just with inkjet printer, but unfortenaly this software just run in OS apple.
If i have solidwork, what would i do to have same result just like 123d make software.

Best regard,

Johanes
Re: 123d make
January 15, 2012 09:36AM
You can use netfabb software for slicing a model too. You can hack .ssl file format to create a DXF or other format of your choice (as the free version does not export slices to DXF format).

misan
January 15, 2012 01:12PM
Thanks Misan,

But i still confuse about your explanation, so if have a file name "part1.stl" (create by solidwork) and i slice with netfabb it produce many file which have extension .ssl and for it i still can't print any of file which have extension .ssl with my inkjet printer if i use free version of netfabb, is that right?.

Mawan
January 15, 2012 01:30PM
Once you load the STL file with the part in the free version of netfab you can export the part as slices (you do that by right clicking on the part export/as slice). This will create a single file that contains the many slices of the part (you have to specify the slice height). The problem is that the different output file formats available are not understood by many of the programs I use.

The file format I have found easier to understand and to reverse engineer [so to speak] is the SSL format because it is ASCII based and it is easy to see how it is made. Once you understand how to read the data you can port that info to another file format your printing software can understand.

Feel free to use my clunky Processing code for translating your SSL file into a sequence of JPG and DXF files: [pastie.org] (it requires you to press 'r' key ).

misan
January 15, 2012 05:16PM
Skeinforge has a Vectorwrite plugin, it outputs .svg files for each layer.

You can tell it to just output the perimeter - you should then be able to assemble these svg files into efficient pages for printing (or something more exotic like vinyl cutting)

Cheers,

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 05:21PM by BigDoug.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login