Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iRapid - the new 3D printer!

Posted by OKKA 
iRapid - the new 3D printer!
January 22, 2012 04:39AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 05:26PM by OKKA.

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
Re: iRapid - the new 3D printer!
January 22, 2012 05:37AM
I find it interesting that you are promoting an apparently closed-source reprap clone under the "reprap" brand.

DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT © COPYRIGHT BY WWW.REPRAP.COM

sounds to me like it contravenes the RepRap license held by Bath University.

According to the RepRap license terms, reprap is already under copyright:

RepRap is copyright © 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 University of Bath, the RepRap researchers (see the project's People page), and other contributors.

also:

The copyright covers the teardrop device, the neologism "RepRap" in upper, lower, or any mix of cases in any typeface, and the phrase "Fused Filament Fabrication" and its abbreviation to "FFF". The teardrop, "RepRap", "Fused Filament Fabrication" and "FFF" are also covered by the GPL. Anyone can use them freely in any way they choose, but they may not be registered as trademarks or restricted in any other way.

Are you officially endorsed by the RepRap project?

UPDATE:

In order to clarify I contacted Adrian Bowyer who kindly responded with the following:

Dr. Adrian Bowyer
My neologism "RepRap" and its cognates are deliberately completely open - we want RepRap to become a common rather than a proper noun. The only restraint is that no one can trademark it.

The copyright on the video is potentially dodgy. But not actually so unless they do the wrong thing with it: the GPL works by copyrighting GPLed things, then using that copyright to make copyleft.

They are clearly (and self-admittedly by their use of reprap.com) a RepRap derivative, and should be releasing all their sources under a GPL-compatible licence (which doesn't, of course, prevent their charging money for that information).

I looked at their site, and can see nothing at all about licencing one way or the other.

For my general views on all this, incidentally, see:

[lists.reprap.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 07:39AM by garyhodgson.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
January 22, 2012 07:49AM
HI..

I see nothing new in your desgin that would make me buy it or even print the parts..
It's just a Makerbot style..

Auzze
January 22, 2012 10:36AM
Auzze Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> HI..
>
> I see nothing new in your desgin that would make
> me buy it or even print the parts..
> It's just a Makerbot style..
>
> Auzze

My thoughts when I first saw it, Makerbot rip off.
January 22, 2012 04:05PM
It's official there really is a NEW! 3D printer every week at the moment, sometimes 3 per week!

@OKKA - So you do realise that by obtaining the domain reprap.com and launching this printer you are kicking us all in the balls? sad smiley HARD ! - Or do you just not care? - Just in-case you do not see what you are doing - You are making it look like you are 'Reprap' In-fact to some people out there this .com will look more official than the real reprap.org - you are trying to get one over on all the other suppliers (even closed source ones) that do support the real reprap.org project and products that use it's good name - You are using very under-hand tactics and will not get you any supporters on this Forum.

If you launched this product NOT using the reprap.com name and domain then most people would wish you good luck and remind you it's a good idea to go open-source and be part of the real reprap mission especially if you are promoting it on this forum. but you have NOT done that.

I was going to give you some positive comments about the Rack and Pinion system, but No, I don't feel inclined to start a discussion now.

You have posted this video and images in lots of forum places so do you intend to sell this 3D printer? - maybe a good time to give us some more details and answer the Reprap - source question along with the background to the mis-representation of you selling anything under reprap.com

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 04:41PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 05:26PM by OKKA.

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 04:49PM
I sometimes think some of the people in this forum drink a little too much of the ideal flavor of non-commercialized open-source cool-aid, but...

reprap dot com. REALLY? Do you have no shame? Talk about pissing on shoulders.

UPDATE: After seeing OKKA's post I am less outraged, but still.. reprap dot com? Just out of respect. Come on.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 04:52PM by billyzelsnack.
January 22, 2012 04:50PM
maybe that domain name wasn't bought because most people had the decent feeling it wasn't for hijacking the RepRap reputation for commercial gain??

regards,
Tom
January 22, 2012 05:06PM
Lol, nobody bought reprap.com because no one was dumb enough to think it was a good idea to try to usurp the RepRap brand for their own personal gain.

You are obviously new in this community, otherwise you would know that you are only hurting your business by using the domain "RepRap.com". Sure, you will get a lot of sales from the idiot crowd, the people who hear the word RepRap and just go buy the first printer they find.

Good luck supporting that crowd.

But anyone who bothers to research will be told by virtually everyone in the community to avoid you because you managed to offend the entire community before you even shipped a product. Your printer better be damn good if you want to survive with that giant black mark against you.

The irony is your printer has a good name, irapid, and 2 seconds worth of thought would have told you that iRapid3d.com would have been a perfect name... Unfortunately you didn't stop to think so now that name belongs to me and will soon be pointing at reprap.ORG. Of course, I would be happy to give you that domain, all you have to do is donate the reprap.com domain to Adrian.
January 22, 2012 05:09PM
Yes, you were able to buy the name, just like you are able to buy other companies and organisations domain names .com / .co.uk / .org but you don't just go around trying to hijack a brand or a company or an organisation, don't you get that? eye popping smiley - what planet are you on and what part of the world are you in?

That's what we are all annoyed about and now you have cemented your attitude that just makes me really mad.

The domain [www.mcdonalds.org] is available for sale, but I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to buy it and start selling or even giving away Hamburgers on it.

Open source is not the point here, you have blown it on the first introduction and registering reprap.com, thinking you were being smart was NOT a good move.

Be outraged people, this is bullshit.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 05:19PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 05:27PM by OKKA.

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 05:23PM
you started the insult....

regards,
Tom
January 22, 2012 05:27PM
@ OKKA - It's not nice being Insulted is it? - you did that to about 20,000 future customers with this post. Take the advice and make a smart move now, Kludgineer's offer is very generous, and we would actually like to support you.

You played it very badly, sleep on it and think again.

Then we can all calm down.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 05:29PM
OKKA Wrote:
> I would discus further but I will not do that with
> people who insulting me.

LOL, are you honestly surprised? Can you honestly say you lack even enough awareness to understand that commandeering the name reprap.com would raise the ire of the community?

Listen, you need to learn something. You can do business in an ethical, upstanding way, and people will mostly treat you with respect and give you compliments.

Or, you can be underhanded and deceitful and people will insult you. If you do not have a thick enough skin to withstand the insults (and if you think what is being said here is harsh, you definitely want to stay away from the RepRap IRC channel), then you should probably aim to do business in an upstanding way.

Give the domain to Adrian, I will give you irapid3d.com, and you will go a long way towards winning back the reputation points you have lost in the debacle. Otherwise you might as well save your money, you will not have much luck selling these kits.
January 22, 2012 05:42PM
And the most annoying thing - it looks like it started at [www.3drapid.org] that now states "we are moved to www.reprap.com"

A video of it printing incredibly slowly with Belts not Rack and Pinion

And the Geared Extruder - looks like a really nice design, should have stuck to the 3drapid name.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 05:50PM
I think the video is a Shapercube fitted with the OKKA extruder.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 06:02PM
Interestingly, as Joaz just pointed out in the IRC channel, not only is the use of the RepRap.com domain deceitful, it is 100% in violation of the RepRap license terms. Per the terms of the license (http://reprap.org/wiki/RepRapGPLLicence), the name RepRap can be freely used, but it CANNOT be trademarked. Well, look what Joaz found:

[register.dpma.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 06:04PM by kludgineer.
January 22, 2012 06:05PM
Lol, back in the day someone registered whitehouse.org and copied the entire whitehouse.gov website. They added outrageous comments and such. I just checked and its no longer around. That's what this reminds me of.
January 22, 2012 06:29PM
kludgineer Wrote:
> the name RepRap can be freely used, but it CANNOT be
> trademarked. Well, look what Joaz found:
>
> [register.dpma.de]
> r/3020110510423/DE

Personally registering RepRap as a trade mark ! - That just takes it to a whole new level of knowingly being underhand and outrageous, no wonder all the OKKA comments have now been removed. I did copy and save them all just before they were deleted, just for reference.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 06:31PM
I will disconect the Domain www.reprap.com...
I don't want to hurt somebody. I did't thought that can be a problem for the reprap people...

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 06:36PM
Thank you for standing up. My offer stands, if you transfer the domain to Adrian, you are welcome to irapid3d.com, and I think it is a great domain for your printer
Kliment
January 22, 2012 06:37PM
And what about the trademark?
January 22, 2012 06:40PM
that's a good step back to normalising the situation, OKKA

regards,
Tom
January 22, 2012 06:41PM
OKKA Wrote:
> I will disconect the Domain www.reprap.com...
> I don't want to hurt somebody. I did't thought
> that can be a problem for the reprap people...

That's a good move. We are a passionate lot and we are trying to help the greater good, I would re-think that Trademark registration also, that's just going to get you into even more troubles.

I would still like to discuss pro's and con's of Rack and Pinion on your interesting machine, but maybe that's a conversation for tomorrow.

Rich.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 22, 2012 06:44PM
I agree this was a mistake... the point is I really don't hurt somebody...
The trademark are not able to register... this is true.

The Domain reprap.com will be shut down in the next hours. I Adrian want the Domain, he can contact me.

I also have register the domain irapid.de I thing this is better than reprap.com

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 06:52PM
Ok, reprap.com is offline...

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 06:56PM
OKKA,

2 thumbs up for you, now let's start blank all over again grinning smiley

regards,
Tom
January 22, 2012 07:04PM
All right, I hope we can start a new discussion. I Just was surprised, no... shockt about the feedback.

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 22, 2012 07:36PM
I spoke with Adrian,

he is really a gentleman, no crying... we spoke rational about this...

Hakan

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
January 23, 2012 12:40AM
Here the new version... thanks for attention!

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login