Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Copyright

Posted by OKKA 
Copyright
January 23, 2012 01:18PM
I just would like to say, that my presentation (iRapid) under copyright by me. Any copying is not allowed.
I will leave this forum because it seems that we does not fit together.

In general the people here are great, but sometimes a bit emotional.

Now I will tell the Admin to delete my account.

Thank you for all!

OKKA

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
Re: Copyright
January 23, 2012 01:25PM
We live and thrive by collaborating, copying, modifying and reverse-engineering. You are of course welcome to join, and we will all benefit from it.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 23, 2012 04:37PM
That is a shame, what you have done with iRapid is not unique so you will find it very hard to enforce any copyright on it.
No one is going to copy the exact design, we don't need too, so what do you expect to achieve by going closed source. Usually this tactic will just end in your design becoming obscure and ignored by everyone.

Opening up your design to the community for comment and improvement will not hurt you, just the exact opposite. Having a closed design just means most people will just ignore you and your efforts, and also will not help you or your customers resolve issues.

3d printer designs are all too common at the moment, and improvements are happening every day in our open community, iRapid does not seem unique or impressive enough to warrant going closed source to me, but it's your choice.

There are lots of things we can help you with and advise you of problems and issues you will get from this design, including already patented areas you are potentially infringing, but why now would we bother to help you?

Good luck.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 25, 2012 03:33AM
Did somebody reinvent the wheel again? I missed somethingsad smiley
January 25, 2012 03:03PM
He only meant his presentation is copyright (the video he showed)

www.Fablicator.com
January 25, 2012 06:07PM
I doubt it, we had quite a discussion a few days back, what would be the point of making just a presentation copyright? Who would use it?

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 12:46AM
The design is under copyright by me!
This is shown on my video and on my website www.irapid.de

IRapid
January 26, 2012 02:55AM
Exactly... Jolly good luck with it all.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 04:20AM
You can't copyright a design unless it is work of art. You would need to patent it to stop anybody copying it.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 05:18AM
Even if it is "patented". I could copy it all the live long day. Just couldn't market it (any more) after getting a cease and desist. Isn't that the way it works?

Unfortunately, I don't even know what this revolutionary design is, but I imagine it is nothing new from responses here.
January 26, 2012 05:23AM
IRapid i do not know if it is a language issue you have or that you are just jumping the gun, but take a step back, and look at things. even talk to other people who have patented things on there own.

but i would be wary about making too much of a bold claim on a patent allot of the stuff for the reprap is very well and openly documented so you would not have too much to stand on other than a exact copy of your design,

so sit back and let cooler heads prevail. just like you don't like us bashing you, there are times where it feels like its you trying to take our ideas and hard work for your self.

kinda sucks life is not black and white its all shades of different colors.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 05:27AM
Yes a patent is required for a machine. Theres a neat expaination here.

In addition the patent needs to detail the exact nature of what is unique and under protection. Its impossible for anyone to patent this machine as there are many components on it that are not original, such as the hot end, extruder, heated bed, guard system, table axis design, rack and pinion mechanism.

If there were a unique part (such as a cold fusion reactor in the base) this may be patented, but only that part of the device.

Patents are sometimes granted (Particularly in the US) but are not worth the paper they are written on, because they haven't been properly researched and are therefore thrown out of court if anyone tries to defend them. One of the worst things you can do is post images on the net or on a forum before the patent is granted as it immediately becomes public domain.

If what this guy is saying were true I would design a unique door bell then go and take a patent out on "The house"... I would make a fortune.
IRapid
January 26, 2012 05:51AM
A lot of people attackt me in a very unpolite way. Not just the forum post's also a lot PM's and via email.

I'am not a monster, when people would talk in a normal way with me, this issue would be totaly different.
Even when somebody makes a mistake, it's not neccesary to postings or sendings insults so much.

I'm talking about humanity...you know?

However, almost all people here are not beliving in my concept. So nobody will copy it. I got a lot of mails like: "this will never work..." "what a mess idea.."
"what a bullshit is this..." an so go on.
Next week I will put some videos from the prototype to youtube. The printer is printing very well.
January 26, 2012 06:24AM
We are now over all the website registration and trademark issues that upset everyone. That sadly stopped us all talking about the machine, why don't you register a new forum name IRapid and we can discuss pro's and cons of the ideas you have? I would really like too.

You have a 'reaction' to the machine and that's really good, if people didn't Care they would just ignore it. So you should be happy.

putting up barriers of copyright and removing yourself from the forum just makes that the focus again instead of having a good discussion about the machine. it looks like you don't want feedback? If that's the case just say and we will advise and help someone else.

The fact I'm typing this on my phone in the middle of London should show you I'm positive about your machine ideas, we all just didn't get a chance to discuss it yet.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 06:27AM
These are not personal attacks. I think the machine is very well designed and would be very popular, but stating that it is patented is a little misleading.

There is a good example of a company that has made a lot of money with an open source design, that of Makerbot. They didn't go down the patent route, but setup to quickly churn out their design in large quantities at a reasonable price. They made a lot of money and only now are other companies starting up to compete (eg Ultimaker), but they have a good market lead.

The reprap community is often worried about patents and it sometimes puts designers off including stuff in their machines because they are worried they will get sued.

The heated build enclosure is a good example. Stratasys has a US patent on this, but it is a classic case of one that would be difficult to defend. It states in the patent the specific temperatures that are to be used in the heated box (Patents have to be specific about design uniqueness). It talks about glass transition etc. If I were to put a heated box on my machine I would have a variable heat setting.

Imagine you put one on your home machine. They would have to do the following:-

1) Find out about it in the first place.
2) Prove that no one had done this before the patent was taken out (including you).
3) Prove that your use was an exact infringement of what was stated in the patent.
4) Prove you were using it at the exact temperatures in the patent.

They also wouldn't bother if:-
1) You were not affecting them financially.
2) You were not in direct competition with them.
3) You didn't have a lot of money.....I mean a lot like a big corporation.

Even after all this you still wouldn't lose your house. You would probably have to pay a small royalty for each machine you sold. This is often agreed as an out of court settlement.
iRapid
January 26, 2012 07:20AM
@ richap & martinprice2004

you are both right... it semms we can discuss in a good way. i will register me as "iRapid" today.
So we can start discussions.
This weekend i will make at least one video from the prototype. Then we can talk about the the pro & contra... sure...why not?!?

Hakan
January 26, 2012 07:39AM
Hi,

is it working with the rack and pinion on the z. I have a prototyped one built but havent used r&p on the z. It would fall when the power was switched off.
January 26, 2012 07:47AM
No, they have balance weights behind the door. So the z axsis will not fall.
January 26, 2012 07:55AM
Why? Are the weights there just because you want to use rack and pinion on the z or for another reason? What made you move away from the usual drive screw arrangement?
January 26, 2012 07:56AM
That's an interesting point about the z axis, as I was considering counter-weighting the other day. Presumably this prevents the entire weight of the z carriage from being held only by the pinion's grub screw?
January 26, 2012 08:08AM
The weights have 2 functions. The first the z axis will not fall when power is off and the stepper motor just moving a view Gramm. This is better for more lifetime of the motor.

Let's wait till weekend... the video will come!

I have to work... till later!
January 26, 2012 08:21AM
Wouldn't this add backlash?
January 26, 2012 08:31AM
That's great, as soon as I'm back home I'll post some more.
Looking forward to any videos.

One of the things I wanted to discuss was if you are heating an enclosed chamber? Or just a heated bed. The sliding door makes it look like it could be heated. No one else has done this commercially yet due to patent issues, - Nophead has a nice heated MDF overcoat on his mendel - something I have been meaning to try for some time.

iRapid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @ richap & martinprice2004
>
> you are both right... it semms we can discuss in a
> good way. i will register me as "iRapid" today.
> So we can start discussions.
> This weekend i will make at least one video from
> the prototype. Then we can talk about the the pro
> & contra... sure...why not?!?
>
> Hakan

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 26, 2012 10:42AM
Is a heated chamber patented?
January 26, 2012 12:09PM
OKKO/iRapid, I understand your dismay at our reaction, but understand what happened here. This is a community that does not use copyrights or patents to constrain our innovations because we believe they hinder freedom and innovation for the benefit of lawyers, governments, and their favored clients. Copyrights and patents are threats to have a government use force to financially or physically harm those who use ideas that you have convinced that government to grant you a semi-permanent monopoly on. This is obviously not the way it seemed to you, but it's the reality of what patents and copyrights are, and we in the RepRap community are nervous about them because they represent a threat to us all. When you came in here and declared that all your stuff was patented and copyrighted, not only was that a signal that you didn't fit into the mindset of the community, but many of us saw the implicit threat of the willingness to resort to legal action that must back any such declaration.

You can go ahead and shackle your designs with whatever kind of government favoritism you want; in fact most companies and products do, so it's pretty normal. But here in the RepRap community, we believe that good ideas are for sharing, not walling off and using government to threaten others over, so it's not very surprising that you got the cold shoulder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2012 08:18PM by Pointedstick.
January 27, 2012 01:24AM
...ok... let's go to the machine....

One of the things I wanted to discuss was if you are heating an enclosed chamber?

No...no heating chamber designed. Behind the door are just the balance weights.
January 27, 2012 04:26AM
What made you move away from the usual drive screw arrangement?

Everybody can usual... If everybody do always usual things, the development will not go on...

Think different!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2012 04:27AM by iRapid.
January 27, 2012 03:11PM
I have used r&p on x and y to make it simpler. Weights to me make more parts to adjust and supply. Unless theres a big benefit for using them.

Also the z on a 3d printer only moves once a layer. No speed benefit.
January 30, 2012 04:52AM
Good morning iRapid,

Any news on a video? I'm looking forward to a demo of the machine operation.

Also we are starting to think about next generation machines Here, it would be really good if your experiences and anyone/everyone else reading this contributed towards a grand plan in an attempt to get organised and focused.

EDIT - Maybe you also want to start a new thread on your machine, having it in 'Copyright' will get plenty of views, but not for the right reasons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2012 04:54AM by richrap.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
January 30, 2012 08:07AM
Hello richrap!

I got my old name back "OKKA". Thanks to Viktor.

You can see my new video on my website www.irapid.de or watch below. Can you start the new Topic? I don't wanna do that, because it can look like advertising.

IR_BLUE.jpg
iRapid
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login