Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

file-sharing network

Posted by joebonaparte 
file-sharing network
May 01, 2008 02:01PM
Is there an official or preferred RepRap file-sharing network?
I think that will be key to the mission.
Re: file-sharing network
May 02, 2008 02:56AM
I'm using ThePirateBay as the tracker for the LiveCD torrent but thats just me.

Most of the other files are small enough not to worry about P2P file sharing and are all stored at sourceforge.net
May 02, 2008 10:37AM
I am thinking more of the objects that reprap builds for file-sharing, rather than the machine's parts.
May 04, 2008 08:22PM
No network that I am aware of. There has been talk about how this should be handled. Nothing has come of it yet.

Demented
May 05, 2008 07:33PM
I'm for a .torrent style system, or maybe even freenet, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freenet).

Perhaps better would be to rig the modeler to run with a filename as an argument, then the program can be made the default program for certain files. Then it doesn't matter how you get the file. Doubleclick on it, (or select run within the browser options for an unknown filetype,) and it'd send it to the printer.
May 11, 2008 08:44PM
I think there's more to it than just sharing the files which are just a few kilobytes in size and could be shared in many ways. It's more about how people find things they would like to print, how people could show the parts they made, how people could give and receive feedback on their work and documentation about how to for example assemble/use a multi part object (such as the RepRap itself)... This could be supported by a framework that is based on open/internet technology standards. It should have API's and it should integrate to a certain degree with the host software to be able to have 'click to print in 3D' buttons.

I've also been thinking about the motivation for desiging parts that are:
- good concepts
- well implemented
- useful and/or pretty
- popular (have many uses) or 'niche' (both might be important)

I can imagine that people want to earn money by designing fab'able (fabulous) stuff. Accounting 'karma' or respect are also things that people can earn, of course. "This person's parts were printed x times and rated with y stars.

I, for one, want RepRap to start the revolution of many projects such as other machines/items that can be RepRapped. These projects should be supported by a good infrastructure that doesn't impose too many limitations, but is useful enough to be attractive and gain a user base of developer/designers and just people that want to print stuff they find online (Those who printed "dishwasher" also liked "vacuuming robot"). I also want to see reuse of parts or subassemblies the open source way. A valve system for a pick and place machine (those with a straw that sucks air, or not, to pick or drop a part) could also be used for a beverage machine. You could put together machines like lego bricks. That's world changing technology.

Also, there could be a system of demand and supply for custom designs. People could showcase their portfolio and specializations. People could run reverse auctions or contests (Who can makes the best water pumping solution )?

I also think that there will emerge a market for clone/compatible items for stuff that breaks/wears out. If you have a 350 euro pool cleaning robot and one rediculous little part breaks, the supplier can charge you a lot for a replacement part because you can get it nowhere else. Now you can, and you'll earn back 75% of your RepRap costs...

RepRap deserves more than just a Wiki for placing files with pictures. The only thing that keeps me from building it is that it needs/deserves a lot of work and has to be thought out well. So I'd really like a lot of feedback on such a system, or more broadly, how do you see this world?

Questions like:
- What is the role of money?
- Only open designs allowed?
- Just RepRapped, Fabb'able items or also CNC, etc. I guess we could work with user profiles that take into account that someone only has a RepRap but no subtractive CNC.

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
May 12, 2008 09:25PM
To me, one of the things that will determine how valuable this system really is is the ease with which different fabable designs can be shared. The percentage of people willing to spend the time to design their own complex 3D objects is actually relatively small. I think that sometimes we forget this, because those people are vastly overrepresented in this project and on this forum (and I commend every one of you! >grinning smiley<).

To me, a servicable analogy is software for computers. Though there are probably billions of people worldwide who use computers and the software that runs on them in their everyday lives, what percentage of those users are actively involved in generating new programs to fulfill their own needs, let alone those of others? 10%? 5%? 1%? At any rate, it is a small fraction (although again, one way overrepresented on this board, luckily!).

Anyway, although I'm too young to remember this, I once read a book that described, among other things, how programs were shared between hobbyists back before computers became mainstream, and certainly before the internet existed. If there's anyone who knows more about this than I do, feel free to correct me. Users would hold "swap meets" periodically where they would bring in software that they considered valuable, and trade it with that acquired by other enthusiasts in the area. Generally, it was expected that when someone brought a program home, they were responsible for making another copy or two of it on whatever medium it was stored (paper tape, 5-1/4" floppy, whatever) and bringing it back to the meeting, in this way ensuring that everyone who wanted the software could get it. People would sometimes attend meets further away to see what wares were available there, in this way aiding the propagation of software across a larger area. This is of course not the most efficient system!

With a lack of coordinated planning, I'm afraid that the market for 3D designs will begin to fall into a similarly inefficient system. Of course, designing a repository of objects is made easier by the Internet, which makes sharing much simpler. However, it is still possible for the market for models to break down into a bunch of private, limited "swap meet"-like sites that limit the growth of the project by raising the entrance barrier (you have to know the quirks of 7 places to look when seeking a model, not 1). I guess what I'm saying is that it would be best if the RepRap project got on this and made an efficient, easy to use site, which would make spin-off ones much less likely to form.
May 12, 2008 10:17PM
Kyle-

I just have one point to make out of one of your points. Yes, we as a group here a=have a way over-representation of programmers / 3D modelers, but think about some of the upcoming 3D software that is coming out. The game SPORE by Maxis (I have been drooling for years) www.spore.com is set to release its creature editor in June. The neat thing about this game is that it has a very intuitive 3D design studio for creating creatures. This means that even a novice computer user can create a good-looking creature without much training or time with the software. It is ideas and products like this which are going to make the permientation of self-designed products more available to the average user. I know that SPORE will alow the user to export their creature to YouTube, but I wonder if it will let the user export to AOI or Blender, because then we could make some pretty rad action figures.

Jay
May 12, 2008 11:27PM
Before we can start printing good looking creatures from Spore, we need a support material head.
It would be very hard to print something like this without support material.
[www.gameguru.in]
May 13, 2008 12:54AM
redskinsjbs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kyle-
>
> I just have one point to make out of one of your
> points. Yes, we as a group here a=have a way
> over-representation of programmers / 3D modelers,
> but think about some of the upcoming 3D software
> that is coming out. The game SPORE by Maxis (I
> have been drooling for years) www.spore.com is set
> to release its creature editor in June. The neat
> thing about this game is that it has a very
> intuitive 3D design studio for creating creatures.
> This means that even a novice computer user can
> create a good-looking creature without much
> training or time with the software. It is ideas
> and products like this which are going to make the
> permientation of self-designed products more
> available to the average user. I know that SPORE
> will alow the user to export their creature to
> YouTube, but I wonder if it will let the user
> export to AOI or Blender, because then we could
> make some pretty rad action figures.

That may certainly help, but the existence of intuitive tools doesn't necessarily mean that people will use them. Visual programming languages have been around for quite a while now, and haven't seen significant adoption by your average computer user. Of course, this analogy breaks down at some point, and it may well be that the learning curve for designing a physical object is lower than that of a computer program because of its more concrete nature.

I took the opportunity to look at a few videos of the Spore creature editor, and wow, that is amazing! My only concern is that it is definitely an art program, not an engineering one - I don't think that adding real-world dimensions to such a system would be trivial, because there are so many assumptions made by the software (assumptions are good for a short learning curve, but bad for precision designing).
May 14, 2008 05:27AM
It's okay if it's not the average computer user is not designing and developing things for his computer. We have a lot of good and free software anyway.

Just about anybody I know has a nephew or boy in the neighborhood that can help them with computer problems or knows how to write HTML.

In computer science a lot of code is often generated during a University course. Some of this code is published with free licenses. The fun thing is, that a lot of high quality GPL'd software originates there (not the majority, but still). For more complex object, I can imagine Industrial Design and Engineering studies will be a nice source of better quality parts. These people would like to see their products in the homes of other people. Besides, the world may start looking different during there career: more and more people will get access (direct or indirect) to 3D printers and could print their products. That's why I think it may help if these people who actually study to create designs will also generate money to be able to keep doing that.

I'm hesitant to say that we necessarily need to do this by a pay-per-print (or other) scheme, because of the following:
In Holland or perhaps another country, the blood bank wanted to increase the amount of blood that was donated. They decided that they would add a financial compensation. Instead of more, less people gave blood, because those people that had been giving blood for free did that for other reasons that money and disliked the notion of doing such a thing 'for the money'. I'm sure that for a certain people dislike a 'doing it for the money' mentality, but that's only a smaller proportion. We could let commercial designers use this system commercially together with the GPL designers (I dislike having many places to go to). There will be a supply and demand marketplace in which rare parts that are expensive someone could create a non-proprietary 'clone'.

I personally would at least build the system so people could write design contests with real prize money (or at least lots of supplies and goodies). Facilitating or even allowing full commercialization (does DRM sound nice?) would definitely be something we should think twice about. But we should not down-right reject it as well.

When I was 12 I was already generating money with the computer by doing graphical work, only a couple of years later I added webdesign and scripting to that. This became a real business at 16 years age. I'd love to see kids earn some money through 3D CAD and that this adds to the vertical mobility of the youth around the world. But designing is not the only way to earn money through RepRaps. A print shop that actually prints (and often also assembles) the stuff for the local community could also earn its money. Or those who implement 3D printing at companies that couldn't afford commercial machines that had limited material options and no extensibility (to use it in a production process instead of prototyping).

The site would need an API so people could post 'configurators' of multiple parts such as the parts for custom designed flat pack furniture where the connecting bits are plastic or otherwise fab-able. If someone is good at making such a wizard in which someone can draw a 'general (higher level) design' the software will generate the BOM and build instructions of that. Those shops will be able to get closer to interacting with end-users, because the average end-user will not work in industrial/complex CAD software.

A SourceForge-like system seems to me a good option. People don't need to question whether the license is an approved free license. Companies can still earn money on customization of the software/object and services (printing capacity). Companies that manufacture anything from this SourceForge-like system should give some of their earnings to the designers, though. Personal users I would like to see it different. But do we, can we and should we want to enforce policies? Maybe just the license is enough to cover it, a creative commons ShareAlike-non-commercial could be an option with the owners of the work making exceptions (commercial production contracts)...

Sorry you had to read all that. The idea is really taking shape but some of these questions bother me at night... smiling smiley

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
May 27, 2008 04:53AM
Anyone looking to create something along these lines would be well served to check out the 3D Warehouse for user-contributed Sketchup models.

[sketchup.google.com]

Everything on it (to my knowledge) is free for the taking. It would be cool to get a fraction of the people designing for Sketchup working on models for the RepRap to build.
Ru
May 27, 2008 05:10AM

Anyone looking to create something along these lines would be well served to check out the 3D Warehouse for user-contributed Sketchup models.

This has been suggested before. There are a few minor issues:

- The free sketchup can't export models in formats useful to us, although it can be modified to export STL I believe.
- Sketchup is closed source, windows and OSX (recent versions) only
- There is no guarantee that google will keep providing free and unrestricted access to the library in the future (in terms of both access to the site, and licensing of content)

More importantly, the idea that we could have multiple indices on our library to create assemblies of components is an interesting and useful one. Also consider the possibilities of an ordering, distribution and payment system on the back end, which we are rather unlikely to be able to do with a google application and once again we rely on google's continued provision of the service.
May 28, 2008 05:24PM
Just perusing the 3D Warehouse and was noticing the copyrighted/patented objects on there. We---and Google--are going to run head-on into legal trouble with the advent of cheap fabbers in the world.

I had been thinking that this problem would creep up on us slowly as people began reverse engineering objects as the ability to print them arose. Not the case. As soon as the printing ability allows, we will be swampped with copies of copyrighted/patented objects via Google's 3D Warehouse mainly in the form of game and toy characters.

Demented
May 30, 2008 12:18AM
Ru Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This has been suggested before. There are a few
> minor issues:
>
> - The free sketchup can't export models in
> formats useful to us, although it can be modified
> to export STL I believe.
> - Sketchup is closed source, windows and OSX
> (recent versions) only
> - There is no guarantee that google will keep
> providing free and unrestricted access to the
> library in the future (in terms of both access to
> the site, and licensing of content)
>

I didn't mean to USE the 3D Warehouse although I can see how that may have easily been inferred. I merely meant to take a look at how it works and use that as a template when designing a web application specifically for RepRap models. If some effort was made to make the software used to create models for RepRap easily available and quick to learn I suspect many would download it and begin creating a library of objects that those of you with physical hardware could begin printing out. You might even be able to raise funds to further your efforts by printing people's designs out and shipping them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login