Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa Electronics

Posted by HereIgoAgain 
Prusa Electronics
January 29, 2012 01:30PM
Well my mendel is back up and purring like a kitten so now on to new stuff and with that in mind, I am making parts to build a Prusa. Question is what are the best/easiest/most cost effective and so on electronics. When I read all the posts I get dizzy trying to figure this out, and I'm sorry as I know this is talked of often. It looks like the choices are: Gen 6, Gen7, R2C2, and Sanguinololu. Any comments ??

thanks
Re: Prusa Electronics
January 29, 2012 03:40PM
My personal opinion as of right now is to go with whatever the community uses the most:

Good:
RAMPS if you want to experiment and use addons like displays, keypads and more than one extruder.
Sanguinololu if you want to save a little money and be limited to a single extruder and less future expandability.
Gen7, though not widely used (sadly) if you can fab your own pcb and source your own components.

Bad:
Gen6 is old and has no EDIT: heated bed controller afaik.
R2C2 I have not seen outside its testing environment, so no community support for it.

I'm very happy with my sanguinololu, it's a neat and tidy little board. But I'll get myself a RAMPS later for a custom extruder setup I can't do with sang1.3a.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2012 04:36AM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
January 31, 2012 03:29PM
Exactly the information I was looking for. thanks Nudel.
January 31, 2012 11:21PM
The new gen6 has heated bed controll , and the old one had heater control , it's an all in one board, so if you fry something you can lose the board.
February 01, 2012 04:39AM
My bad, I meant heated bed of course. Nice to see they update it.

Valid point about having everything on one board. Sanguinololu and RAMPS at least have the possibility to put in new stepper controllers and mosfets which are what tend to let out smoke most often.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login