Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Finished Extruder Head

Posted by spota 
Finished Extruder Head
March 23, 2007 04:29AM
To Zach:

Epoxy, interesting!

Could you detail if you used a single (premixed catalyser) or double component epoxy? In the second case, how did you mix them on extrusion?
Also, what viscosity did you use? Is it the sticky tipe like warm chewingum or the cast resin type, wich is more like motor oil?

I'm trying to write something on 3D printing materials and it would be great to have some pictures. maybe even have some test figures that could be printed out to see what capacities and specifics each polymer has. I'm thinking along the lines of a 90

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 12:36PM by spota.
Re: How to have a successful Open Source project
March 23, 2007 11:50AM
no, the epoxy was used to attach the extruder barrel... however extruding epoxy is one of the things i REALLY want to try out once i get a machine up.

i remember someone mentioning printing out a mixing tube (two streams come in, then come out the other end mixed.. you can buy epoxy that comes with these...) with thermoplast, then using that to extrude. since after you use it, the tube will lock up with epoxy. however if you just print a new one before you use it each time, no worries!
Finished Extruder Head!
March 23, 2007 12:21AM
yes! i just finished my first extruder head today... i didnt get to fully test it because i didnt want to rush the epoxy and it was getting late. however, i did test the various parts separately and they each worked fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 11:51AM by Zach Hoeken.
March 23, 2007 12:44AM
Epoxy?

-------------------------------------------------------

Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Thomas A. Edison
March 23, 2007 11:47AM
yeah... first off, i used part of a wooden dowel as the thermal shield. to attach the extruder barrel to that securely, i used jbweld, which is good up to 260 degrees Celsius and super strong. people use this to fix cracked engine blocks, so it should be fine =)

i also used a bit of it to attach the motor to the coupling since it wasnt the right size and i had to 'modify' it with my dremel... didnt come out exactly right.

i'll upload pics sometime soon... and i'll hopefully test the whole unit tonight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login