Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to print with support material?

Posted by wikisi 
How to print with support material?
February 08, 2012 11:20PM
hi there folks,

Suppose you want to print a christmas tree (picture a cone on a trunk). Printing the trunk is not a problem, but then it takes a 90 degree turn, which is horizontal with the bed. You can't print plastic in mid-air, you NEED support. But HOW? Does Skeinforge have some kind of setting for this, or am I suppose to design the support in my STL file? Or... how do you guys do it?
I must be using the wrong search terms. I can find support related threads, but not the how-to kind of info that I need.
Would be great if someone could point me to a site, PDF or anything that explains how to use support.
Re: How to print with support material?
February 08, 2012 11:35PM
Skeinforge's support settings are in the Raft module.
February 09, 2012 12:18AM
Check out this Skeinforge manual,

Skeinforge manual on Fabmetheus

has some support-specific articles : e.g. Skeinforge support part 1
February 09, 2012 06:59PM
Yeah, that article was just what I needed.
Thanks.
February 12, 2012 01:58PM
By adjusting the parameters, you can make light support structures that can be easily removed without damaging the printed object.
A thing I noticed when I print support structures, the extruder have some inertia so just after the support structure is printed, the extruder doesn't output enough plastic for the part.
To avoid this issue, I add A 2mm thick wall in front of the object, so the extruder can reach the good flow rate by printing this wall before printing the part.
Exemple : [youtu.be]

My raft parameters for this print :
-Cross hatch enabled
-Support Feed Rate over operating Feed Rate : 3
-Support Flow Rate over operating Flow Rate : 1
-Support gap : 0
-Everywhere
-60°

I modified the rart plugin sript to add "Support Feed Rate over operating Feed Rate" :
raft.py
If you want to use it it's at your own risk, it's the first time I modified a python script, I made it working using copy/paste and a lot of trial & error, I probably missed to do something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login