Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap newbie...

Posted by Scatterplot 
RepRap newbie...
May 25, 2007 04:15AM
Just wanted to say hey and all to everyone here from a lurker. My school has a RP machine and it's pretty awesome, and I was happy to see there was an online community for an open source RP so easily availible!

Anyways I've been working for the past few days on what I would hope to be a good RepStrap machine. I've been designing it in CAD and hopefully it will be done soon. I have the X and Y axes done, and unfortunately the program I am using (being freetongue sticking out smiley) limits my assembly parts to like 12 or something tiny. Anyways that is enough to do the main assembly, and the parts are really simple to make. I decided to go with a much smaller version than most people have made. It's going to only have an extrusion area of something like 6x4", but I figure who makes anything bigger than that anyways? I have a machine shop (blasted lathe and mill are BOTH down at the moment...) so making parts should be simple enough. The thing is I am trying to make this out of very cheap stuff, being a college student I, by definition, have no money. So plastic cutting boards it is! Anyways if it goes off well I might could just start selling some of the parts to those non-mechanically inclined folks out there.

So at this moment, what exactly is the biggest hurdle? Software? Hardware? Firmware? I am immensely better with hardware than anything else, followed by some software and barely any familiarity with firmware beyond it's spelling smiling smiley
Re: RepRap newbie...
May 26, 2007 02:37PM
thats awesome. i hope your project turns out well. also, if you have access to an RP machine, you could skip the repstrap step and jump directly to Darwin v1.0. the STL files for printing are on the sourceforge download page.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login