Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suitable glues for heatsinks?

Posted by Ollie 
Suitable glues for heatsinks?
February 15, 2012 10:58AM
When you finally run out of thermal adhesive glue, you start to think. Is there a cheaper alternative? Just as a matter of interest, who uses what?

Ollie
Re: Suitable glues for heatsinks?
February 15, 2012 11:19AM
I've heard one person uses a drop of regular super glue on the stepper controllers, he says it works fine.

I have tried various glues but don't trust them in the long run for small surfaces, so I've started using sticky thermal pads I cut to size.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
February 15, 2012 11:29AM
The traditionally cheap option is double-sided thermal tape. Although in my experience it doesn't work very well for heat conduction.

I don't have any heatsinks on my Sanguino/Stepstick electronics, but for other uses I've always used Arctic Silver thermal epoxy, mixed 50/50 with Arctic Silver paste. It's plenty strong and the mix of the two lets me separate them later.
February 15, 2012 12:05PM
I had some trouble with the thermal pads my stepper drivers came with so I used some old silver based cpu thermal paste.
I can't remember if it was as thick when it was new, but it almost like a glue.

So far its working like a charm and it hasn't even pasted its burn in period.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
February 15, 2012 01:02PM
Ah, so I think I'll make a point to get some thermal paste at the nex opportunity. I was using the thermal pads for a while, but they didn't stick well to uneven or spherical surfaces. I'll see how the superglue holds up on a mosfet, lucky I have some spares lying around incase ;D
February 15, 2012 07:42PM
HI..

A small drop of super gule it all you need, I have been using it for months without a problem..

Auzze
February 15, 2012 08:45PM
I mix regular epoxy with white thermal paste at about 30-50% thermal paste to 70-50% epoxy.

P.s. I learnt how to do this on an overclocking website.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
February 16, 2012 05:45PM
Stick Kapton on the heatsink base, then use normal superglue on the Kapton/stepper junction, works well and can still be removed if needed.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
February 16, 2012 06:54PM
There is thermal epoxy. It's epoxy with metal "pigment". It looks like silver heatsink goo but it's epoxy. It's not cheap but if does make the most of the surface area for heat transfer.
February 16, 2012 10:10PM
Super-glue has always worked well for me on small components -> pololu drivers and the like...

Bigger components, need the thermal paste / thermal epoxy all the way.

eMAKER_widget.png
February 17, 2012 03:35AM
I tried putting a thermistor on my PCB heated bed yesterday, but the thermal paste i had left over from my hotend was completely solid. Would double sided heatsink tape work here?

Evert
February 17, 2012 03:56AM
Kapton tape should work. At least it does on my heated Wolf Bed.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
February 17, 2012 04:07AM
I just use regular quick setting epoxy. Just a very thin layer so it doesnt affect the thermal conduction too much.
rcs
February 17, 2012 05:07AM
I found that on the ali bed I drill a blind hole for the thermistor and use silicone gasket from a car spares shop it is OK up to 625' F. I also use it on the hot end to hold the thermistor in place. I found it much better that fire cement.
February 17, 2012 05:09AM
cheers, i'll try tape
March 03, 2012 06:34PM
March 06, 2012 03:44PM
If I could add my two cents on this, because you learn the hardway sometimes. If do you use thermal compound, I'd go with one that is not electrically conductive. Can cause some undesired shorts.

bdc
~Stay Calm Out There
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login