Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Powder Vat & Syringe Impregnation

Posted by nosomis 
Powder Vat & Syringe Impregnation
February 22, 2007 02:39AM
Does anyone think that a running a syringe(dispenser) and needle(different gauges) thought a tub (like an icecream container) full of powder(maybe plaster or other PE material) and inject a glue (fast dry like supaglue) could achieve 3d printing.

I know that the length of the needle and resistance though the material may have an impact but how exactly do the professionals do it like zcorp ?
Re: Powder Vat & Syringe Impregnation
February 22, 2007 07:45AM
The professionals have two tubs and a roller. One tub is filled with the powder and the other is the build surface. The powder tub's base is raised, which raises a layer of pwder above the rim of the tub. A roller then moves across and pushes the powder onto the build surface. The syringe then squirts a binder in the desired pattern. The build surface then drops a step, the powder tub raises a step and the cycle begins again. There is a loose powder removal stage at the end but the finished product looks very professional.
Re: Powder Vat & Syringe Impregnation
February 23, 2007 12:13AM
Except that you have an object made out of impregnated starch or plaster.

Mind, I chatted with a guy named Jeff today who runs an outfit called SOS components (http://www.3dprinting.com.au/) that uses ZCorp and Stratasys machines both. He says that his firm has done a lot of work compounding new binder solutions that he claims yield stronger products than the FDM'ed ABS that his Stratasys puts out.

When I described what we were doing with room temperature FDM he wanted to know if we had problems with the delamination in the vertical axis that Adrian mentioned a few weeks ago that apparently plagues Stratasys output.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login