Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature

Posted by lennyd 
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature
February 19, 2012 04:58PM
Connected up my old Sanguino board to my Windows 7 Samsung 700 series slate, then downloaded the latest Arduino and Sanguino software. Moved Sanguino to Arduino hardware. Compiler couldn't find arduino.h so I copied arduino.h from Arduino cores to Sanguino cores and now I can compile but I can't upload. Error message, avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. I used to be able to run the Sanguino just fine about two years ago on another windows PC with an earlier version of the Arduino IDE. I am getting some comunications to the board, flashing lights during upload. I keep reding about the " -F " option but I have no idea where to insert this. Any ideas?
Re: avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature
February 19, 2012 10:05PM
I have the exact same problem. I am researching...

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
February 20, 2012 02:43AM
Are you using Arduino IDE version 1.0? If so use 0022 or 0023 instead.
February 20, 2012 10:10AM
I've tries 0022, 0023 and 1.0. They can compile the FiveD code I have, but I get non-trivial compile errors on the Marlin code. I tried Erik's Marlin code too, and it compiles, but not for my gen6 (Sanguino) board. I have a feeling that my Sanguino folder is incompatible with the Marlin code ... maybe just have not put together the right combination.

David

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MakeMendel Orca v0.3, Gen6 with 5D, Slic3r. Usually 1.75mm with a modified V9 hot end and extruder.
February 20, 2012 11:40AM
If you want to use sanguino with arduino you need to do some changes to the sanguino files. Have a look here
https://github.com/repetier/Repetier-Firmware/tree/master/boards

These are updates to sanguino for Arduino 1.0. For those having troubles with upload, the boards.txt is also changed. Since arduino 1.0 a newer AVRDude version is included.

You need to change the protocol like
atmega644.upload.protocol=arduino

for that version.

The serial communication library for Arduinos supported directly has also changed a bit. Depending on your firmware this may cause some compilation problems or solve them.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
Repetier-Server - the solution to control your printer from everywhere.
Visit us on Facebook and Twitter!
February 20, 2012 12:13PM
Thanks, Repetier! I will give that a try this week...

David

February 27, 2012 09:09PM
Thanks, Repetier!

Can't seem to find a version of Marlin that will compile clean with a Gen6 board. I tried Adruino 0022, 0023 and 1.0 with three different versions of Marlin. I am guessing that the comm problems you mentioned are to blame...

David

February 28, 2012 02:58AM
I'm no Marlin expert, have my own Firmware :-) But I know, there is a special gen6 Marlin version. DOn't know why gen6 is treated differently. Normally any firmware should compile with Arduino 023 or 1.0 or both. Only between these two is a major difference.

Repetier-Software - the home of Repetier-Host (Windows, Linux and Mac OS X) and Repetier-Firmware.
February 28, 2012 10:57AM
Thanks for the comment Repetier. I must have a corrupted download then, as the 'Eric' Marlin I have tried does not compile for my Gen6 - out of the box. Seems like it should(?) Is this the 'special' version of Marlin for Gen6 you spoke of? I should probably start fresh and clean and download everything again...

David

February 28, 2012 11:35AM
I mean you need this version:
https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin

The other one is name marlin-non-gen6, which isn't updated for a while.

Haven't tried this release, but I could compile older releases without error for my gen6.

February 28, 2012 12:24PM
I downloaded that version: ( [github.com] ), unzipped it. When I try to compile it, I get an error message that says to set my board to 'Adrunio Mega'. If I do that, it will compile, but of course, won't upload to my printer. If I set the board to any of the first two Sanguino boards, it compiles with these errors:

In file included from /Marlin.h:26,
                 from cardreader.cpp:1:
/pins.h:637:3: error: #error Oops! Make sure you have 'Arduino Mega' selected from the 'Tools -> Boards' menu.
In file included from cardreader.cpp:1:
/Marlin.h:35:25: error: WProgram.h: No such file or directory
/Marlin.h:47:21: error: WString.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /Marlin.h:38,
                 from cardreader.cpp:1:
MarlinSerial.h:115: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
MarlinSerial.h:115: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'String' with no type
MarlinSerial.h:134: error: expected ',' or '...' before '&' token
MarlinSerial.h:134: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'String' with no type
/MarlinSerial.h: In member function 'void MarlinSerial::print(int)':
MarlinSerial.h:117: error: 's' was not declared in this scope
In file included from cardreader.cpp:1:
/Marlin.h: At global scope:
Marlin.h:104: error: variable or field 'manage_inactivity' declared void
Marlin.h:104: error: 'byte' was not declared in this scope

I have no entry in the boards menu for Sanguino alone, like I did before, so maybe that is the problem(?) Instead, I have these choices:

1. Sanguino w/AT mega644P
2. Sanguino w/AT mega1284p 8 mhz
3. Sanguino w/AT mega1284p 16 mhz

The first two get similar errors to above. If I chose the last one, I get a 'no board selected' and the compile never happens.

David

February 28, 2012 12:28PM
That is a easy one. In configuration.h you need

#define MOTHERBOARD 5

and then select your Sanguino from boards and recompile.

February 28, 2012 01:14PM
Thanks a ton, Repetier!

I am now able to get a clean compile. I had to copy the Sanguino folder from Eric's zip into the 0023 hardware folder to activate the 'Sanguino' alone board menu. Once I did that, I got a clean compile.

I will try an upload next, but have to wait for a long print job to finish first. I will post my progress at each step, in case it is of any use to others.

Could not have done this without your help!

David

March 01, 2012 12:39PM
After getting a clean compile, I was able to upload the code to the board. I am in the process of fiddling with the various settings to accommodate my printer. Not ready for a trial print yet, but soon! Thanks for all the help.

David

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login