Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenSCAD Problem

Posted by gtg252b 
OpenSCAD Problem
February 19, 2012 09:58PM
I've got a problem with an OpenSCAD design that I can't seem to figure out. I've done a fair amount of Googling for this issue, and I can't find anything. Hopefully someone here can help.

I generated some 3D text in Google Sketchup, then converted it to an STL in MeshLab and imported it to OpenSCAD. It shows up just fine in the OpenSCAD window, but when I try to render it (F6) I get "WARNING: No top level geometry to render" and it disappears until I compile again with F5. Has anyone seen an issue like this? I'm sure it's probably something stupid that I'm doing.

Thanks
Re: OpenSCAD Problem
February 20, 2012 12:02AM
show the OpenSCAD code you're using, and attach the STL.
February 20, 2012 04:26AM
OpenSCAD is very picky about the STL files it wants to import and render. Try running the STL through netfabb studio basic (free), select repair - actions - remove degenerate faces - ok - apply repair - yes. It seems to work most of the time, if not you can play around with the other repair options, or resort to clean up the model in a mesh modeller like Wings 3D.

Of course the "proper" way (as in, what I would do) if you want to use OpenSCAD, would be to make a DXF of the text you want, and use linear_extrude to make it 3D. I wrote up a small tutorial on how to use inkscape to achieve this.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
February 20, 2012 08:43PM
Thanks Nudel. I followed your method for doing it the 'proper' way, and it worked perfectly.

I think the issue may have been the curved surfaces in the font of my original stl file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login