Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Solid Model files for Prusa Mendel

Posted by PedroB 
Re: Solid Model files for Prusa Mendel
February 29, 2012 09:30AM
Modeling with history with a GUI is graphical scripting, progressive rather than having to declare it before anything can happen. You can copy and reorder, replace, suppress and express, define and create associations and dependencies without having to know the Hogwarts incantations. "Constructivus Solidicus Geometricus!"
February 29, 2012 12:48PM
That is until you start creating procedurally generated and parametric models. Openscad and tools like it allow you to define what are effectively modeling rules that will change your end result based on inputs. I'm sure graphical modeling tools have some ability like this, but its not built into everything you do like it would be in a programming language.

By the way, nophead, I appreciate the declarative nature of openscad, but its missing features of truly powerful declarative languages. It's 80% of the way to being a dialect of LISP. I have always wished that I could pass a function which returned a 2d shape into linear_extrude to make a progressively changing extrusion. If openscad had first class functions and closures, and the built in utilities were updated to make use of them, it would become a far more powerful tool.
February 29, 2012 02:19PM
FreeCad is open source and available on most platforms.

As well as using the GUI to design 3D objects, one can also program with it. You have the language features of Python,
so variables procedures etc.

Its missing an assembler for parts, but that is coming apparently
February 29, 2012 11:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2012 01:43AM by murrayd.
July 20, 2012 01:06PM
Hi, I have added step, parasolid and inventor files of prusa iteration 2 to the prusa mendel page. While building the assembly I noticed that the lengths on the prusa 2 assembly page were not correct so I have changed those too.(440 for low center threaded rod and 420 voor smooth Y rods) I didn't add the vitamins to the solid model yet so anyone who likes to add, you are very welcome to post the improved version winking smiley
I tried to download the old solidworks file but it seems there is nothing in the zip file. If anybody still has the solidworks files it would be great if they could make a new zip.

I hope we find some way so everybody can work togeteher, not just the solid modellers or the openscad programmers. Maybe freecad can help us once it reaches adulthood.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login