Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stand Alone Controller for Reprap

Posted by keffin 
Stand Alone Controller for Reprap
March 01, 2012 02:50AM
Hi guys,

Makerbot has the Interface Kit which allows control of the printer without hooking it up to a computer. I haven't noticed anything like that for the Reprap. Surely it is because I have been looking in the wrong places?

Can anybody point me in the right direction ?

Thanks,
Keff
Re: Stand Alone Controller for Reprap
March 01, 2012 03:32AM
Marlin firmware has support for LCD and SD. The hardware required is an sdcard break out board like SDramps and a 4bit capable LCD screen (16 x 2 most often) and a few switches ( or rotary encoder). Search Ultipanel for an example.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 01, 2012 08:05PM
Thanks Sublime,

I was hoping for already finished example for use with Mendels. Looks like this is going to be a new project for me !

Keff
March 02, 2012 02:27AM
This could be interesting. Not exactly a "standalone controller" but it could be fun to see how it works as a host.

bdc
~Stay Calm Out There
March 02, 2012 03:44AM
Yep I have plans to use a Raspberry Pi as a host.
Adding a cheap webcam (and possibly a decent digital cam for stills) and a digital smoke detector (so it can call/email me should anything go wrong).

That way I could be a could completely stand alone and monitored/controlled via a nice web interface. Hell you could even put them in a shed with solar panels and just run them at next to no cost.

If only the Raspberry Pi didn't sell out so fast. I was up at 5:45am that morning and within a few seconds of the release both sites where down.
ETA on my R-Pi from farnell, 16/04. Fingers crossed I got on to the RS pre-order list earlier and can get it sooner from them (I will either cancel the Farnell order or donate it)

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 02, 2012 12:26PM
I have a rasbery on order, and look forward to having a play, but for reprap I can't help feeling that smartphones would make the ideal controller, would need an interface but phones are made by the million and are available in africa etc, plus they can send and recieve files.

P.S I wish the Rasbery Pi boards were made here in the UK, I would be prepared to pay extra to keep the manufacturing here.

Random Precision
March 02, 2012 01:13PM
I have one working and will post something on my website this weekend. I have made it on stripboard.

Bad photography, but hopefully you can get the gist of it.

Based on the ultimaker panel
March 02, 2012 01:25PM
i found a serial lcd at sparkfun that has allot of potential for this application, but i would be happy just to figure out how to modify sprinter to get it send the data i want out one of the spare harware serial pins the mega has,

i think this is a good way to go [www.sparkfun.com] and it is expandable too.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 02, 2012 02:15PM
Marlin has support for basic displays as well as the hacked interface/controller module.
So it would probably be the best place to start firmware wise

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
March 02, 2012 02:29PM
And it also has support for RAMPS with LCD now as well. Just connect your LCD and configure the pins.h file to match... winking smiley
March 02, 2012 02:38PM
my issue is that i have a serial lcd though so i only need 3 wires, +,-,tx. rx when i try to expand it

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
March 02, 2012 03:04PM
johnrpm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a rasbery on order, and look forward to
> having a play, but for reprap I can't help feeling
> that smartphones would make the ideal controller,
> would need an interface but phones are made by the
> million and are available in africa etc, plus they
> can send and recieve files.
>

Check out the Android app for Sprinter via bluetooth:
[www.thingiverse.com]

I've got the necessary BT modem...just haven't wired it up yet to test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 03:08PM by johnbiehler.

[johnbiehler.com]
March 02, 2012 05:21PM
johnbiehler,
thanks for the link, I had not seen it, as the processing power of phones gets better, and the price of second hand phones and tablets get lower, more uses will come to light for them, please keep us informed how it goes.

Random Precision
March 05, 2012 05:41PM
[www.justblair.co.uk]

I have added some basic schematics and build notes to my website... Apologies for the crudeness of the writing, I will tidy it up an add information as I work it all out. Should be enough though to help get you running
March 06, 2012 08:38AM
That's great Justblair.

Just wondering, what is the major advantage of a rotary encoder. Wouldn't individual buttons like the Makerbot Interface Kit be more convenient, especially for controlling the motors?

K
March 06, 2012 09:24AM
Looks quite useful!

What did you use to do you SD card, did you get a sdramps kit?

evert
March 06, 2012 09:27AM
The major advantage of the rotary encoder is cost and simplicity.

Cheap encoders cost tiny amounts on E-bay whereas the makerbot kit you refer to has PCBs etc.

In terms of moving the print head around, this is not something that you need to do very often and probably not more than one axis at a time. It is easy enough to use a rotary encoder for this.

Within the Marlin firmware there is also the abiltiy to use keypads as well, I added it to the ramps board as an option, but you would need to enter the pins.h file and configure it for RAMPS

I have always been a sucker for rotary encoders though. i love the clicky twisty action!
March 06, 2012 09:29AM
evilb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks quite useful!
>
> What did you use to do you SD card, did you get a
> sdramps kit?
>
> evert

Yes, that is the one that I used. I have sitting beside me a cheapo full sized module that I bought off ebay for a couple of quid. I reckon that this might be a winner as well. Going to play with it later....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login