Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outGive a hand testing 3Dswapper.com

Posted by Stromgren 
spinning smiley sticking its tongue outGive a hand testing 3Dswapper.com
March 02, 2012 11:54AM
Hello smiling smiley

I spend the last couple of months, thinking, designing and programming 3Dswapper

3Dswapper is meant as a place to share 3d models for print with each other - later some more functions might be added, depending on the success of the site.

Now i am done setting up the most basic functions and some feedback would great, so if you have the time then take a look a the site and give your feedback in this thread. Since some of the objects are still not functioning i am going to put up a list with functions that should be functioning. If someone chooses to help test out the site i am going to keep the list updated.

WORKING FUNCTIONS:

DATE: 02/03-2012
- Register
- Log out
- Browse models trough subjects and categories
- Search for models using the search bar
- Comment on a model
- Rate a model
- Upload your own models
- Request a new subject or category (If you come up with a subject or a category you think should be added you can also just tell me in this thread)

Link: 3Dswapper

Look by and feel free to upload your models smiling smiley
Thanks in advance smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2012 12:59PM by Stromgren.
Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outGive a hand testing 3Dswapper.com
March 02, 2012 12:17PM
Is this intended to be similar to thingiverse, what type of license will it have.

Random Precision
March 02, 2012 12:25PM
Really like the website, very good presentation

I would change the logo though, looks a bit boring compared with the rest of the site. I don't know if its just my problem, but the links in the 'Top in all models' list do not work.

Well done :-)

Simon
March 02, 2012 12:27PM
johnrpm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this intended to be similar to thingiverse,
> what type of license will it have.

Oh right, i need to put the licenses up smiling smiley Prob. 100 things i forgot. Exactly the reason why some early feedback is nice.. I'll get right to the licenses..

But yes, i guess you can compare this to thingiverse, but honestly when i browse thingiverse i miss a lot of features.
The biggest goal for this site is to make 3D printers and models easier accessible, at the moment it takes a lot of wiki reading smiling smiley

The licenses will free for all uses.
March 02, 2012 12:30PM
simonhoughton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really like the website, very good presentation
>
> I would change the logo though, looks a bit boring
> compared with the rest of the site. I don't know
> if its just my problem, but the links in the 'Top
> in all models' list do not work.
>
> Well done :-)
>
> Simon

Thanks for you're feedback Simon

I have a friend of mine who's a designer working on the logo. 'Cause you're absolutely right grinning smiley

The "top in all models" doesn't work yet. It's just static HTML. But i just finished the rating system right now, so i am getting there smiling smiley
March 02, 2012 12:42PM
// UPADTE:

Added "Other" category to each subject.
March 02, 2012 01:40PM
// UPADTE:

Added "Inventive" category to each subject.
March 02, 2012 02:33PM
Hi,

I would add a way of notifiying people of updates - to the site and also for new STL files - such as an RSS feed (or better several, across categories etc). Most people haven't time nor inclination to explicitly remember to return to the site. A feed, or even mailing list, would keep a channel to users open, especially as the site is still in the very early stages.

As others have already mentioned, people will immediately compare it with Thingiverse and ask "what does 3Dswappers give me?". You'll have an uphill battle convincing people to use your service when Thingiverse has so much traffic and is itself a pretty good service. I would advise you to really highlight the features of your service that makes it different and worth using, and make them jump out from the start.

I realise it's a work in progress, and no doubt you have a big list of things to work on, but personally I find it pretty annoying to click on a link to then only find a "Not Yet Here" message. If it was my site I would leave out completely the buttons and links that aren't yet implemented and only add them back in as the site progresses.

Best of luck,
Gary

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login