Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

microstepping

Posted by morrist 
microstepping
March 07, 2012 01:23PM
Hello,

just wanted to take a chance and thank the community for all the help in the past, i have been getting some pretty good prints. i am unfortunately still running techzone monolithic electronics. I was pondering getting motors so i could use microstepping with sprinter. i was wondering which motors one would use for microstepping? and if anyone has a source in the US that would be great.

Morrist
Re: microstepping
March 07, 2012 01:52PM
so i just found this post
[forums.reprap.org]

so, it appears it cannot microstep. so hope this answers others questions on the topic, in the future i may look into different electronics soi can actually upgrade them.
March 07, 2012 04:25PM
Your steppers would probably be able to microstep with new electronics like RAMPS or Sannguinololu.
March 07, 2012 05:29PM
The A3982 chip that is used on the gen 3 based electronics is capable of half stepping. I am not sure if the techzone board is hard wired for full or half. You will need to check if MS1 is held HIGH or LOW to determine if it is enabled. HIGH is half step and LOW is full step. If it is in full step mode and no jumper to change it you could cut the trace on the board and use a jumper wire.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 07, 2012 07:04PM
well in the meantime il look into making sure it is half stepping, but most likely this summer i will upgrade to a different set of electronics
March 07, 2012 10:39PM
any bipolar stepper can be microstepped, it's the electronics that does the actual magic.
March 08, 2012 05:21AM
Sublime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The A3982 chip that is used on the gen 3 based
> electronics is capable of half stepping. I am not
> sure if the techzone board is hard wired for full
> or half. You will need to check if MS1 is held
> HIGH or LOW to determine if it is enabled. HIGH is
> half step and LOW is full step. If it is in full
> step mode and no jumper to change it you could cut
> the trace on the board and use a jumper wire.

I have some vague memories of trying that and finding halfstepping is indeed activated on Monotronics. Wouldn't mind someone trying to confirm, then.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login