Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troubleshoot this print?

Posted by wikisi 
Troubleshoot this print?
March 07, 2012 08:16PM
Was wondering if someone could help me troubleshoot this print. It's waayyyyyy off!
I attached the STL and a picture of the print that I stopped before the first layer was even finished. I didn't need to see more to know this wasn't gonna turn out well tongue sticking out smiley
Attachments:
open | download - printer.jpg (86 KB)
open | download - rounded-handle.stl (241.2 KB)
Re: Troubleshoot this print?
March 07, 2012 08:28PM
March 07, 2012 08:35PM
looks like your printer lost some steps. Does it do the exact same thing if you do it again?

www.Fablicator.com
March 07, 2012 08:57PM
I added another pic of a different print. I stopped the print when I noticed what happened. It was supposed to be a cone shaped cap, but halfway during the cone, it started printing the cone more to the left by 5 mm or so. If it screws up at the beginning of a print that's one thing, but it sucks if it does it halfway finished.
Attachments:
open | download - cap.jpg (450.2 KB)
March 07, 2012 09:06PM
That is lost steps / skipped steps.

You should make sure all the axis move freely and have no binding. If they move freely and you still have the issue you could then try and increase the current to your steppers via the trimpot on the driver board. If all of that fails you will need to slow down.

Good starting point for speed is 20mm/s perimeter, 30mm/s infill and 45mm/s travel. If you get good prints at those speeds you can try and increase them one at a time until it skips steps and then go back down.

FFF Settings Calculator Gcode post processors Geometric Object Deposition Tool Blog
Tantillus.org Mini Printable Lathe How NOT to install a Pololu driver
March 07, 2012 09:19PM
Ok, I know what the problem is with this print (handle). The handle is too large, the extruder bumped into the stop for z-axis. >> Homer Facepalm <<
That explains it for this print, but not for the cone shaped cap.
March 07, 2012 10:25PM
clean and oil your rods

turn up the trimpot on the stepper drivers (clockwise)
March 07, 2012 10:46PM
How much should I turn them? Quarter of a turn or so?
March 07, 2012 10:54PM
Of the 270º they turn you should turn them 45º clockwise from the fully counter-clockwise end. My pots have a little flat side on the dial that i point to the left (it depends on the orientation though)
March 08, 2012 04:22AM
Also check for loose pulleys, belts binding against something, false triggers/noise on the endstops and serial communication errors.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
March 08, 2012 09:37AM
Lower your acceleration and/or jerk values and/or print slower. Report back.

www.Fablicator.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login