Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepRap Featured in HackaDay

Posted by redskinsjbs 
RepRap Featured in HackaDay
May 24, 2008 11:22AM
Hey Guys

Just thought that you should know that we got some more publicity.
[www.hackaday.com]

Jay
Ru
Re: RepRap Featured in HackaDay
May 24, 2008 01:32PM
More interestingly, they linked [www.lumenlab.com] which also bills itself as a 'reprap'. Might have to investigate that one a little more...
May 24, 2008 02:00PM
lumenlab website
As a bonus, the RoBLOKS RoGR design is modular and easily adapted to many configurations...

* Art and Sculpture
* 3d printing
* Milling and Machining
* Terrain Mapping, Reliefs
* 3D, 2D Carving
* Assembly
* Plotting
* PCB gravature
* Filligree and Inlay
* Rapid Protoyping
* Laser, Plasma and Welding
* Modeling
* Mold Making
* Patterning
* Chess Partner smiling smiley

...it can be done with RoBLOKS and your ingenuity! The RoGR can even be used to produce parts for more RoGRs and more RoBLOKS modules, qualifying RoGR as a REPRAP.

That's about all they say about it. I think that it's a bit presumptuous to call that a "RepRap" especially since he doesn't mention that you need to purchase an extruder for it to work that way, but you can't argue with good publicity!
Ru
May 24, 2008 03:05PM
Well, I think he's probably referring to the 'rep' bit, if it can machine its own structural elements (and I guess there's no reason why it couldn't). I was just amused that it is referred to as a reprap even though it isn't a rapid prototyper... reprap is just a nifty and useful term. Repmil or reprou don't quite cut it somehow winking smiley
May 24, 2008 09:57PM
Wonder what

Speaking of chess partner, are reprap's dimensions big enough to fit in a chess set on its extrusion bed. Maybe we could have reprap print out it's own chess set, board , and piece manipulator. A chess match may be in order...
May 27, 2008 04:52PM
Lol, I like the chess set! But we'd need black and white plastics. Okay, painting half of the parts black is not too much trouble for now, I guess... Many chess pieces would be possible to fab without > 45' overhangs, I think. We could RepRap a small gripper with a servo (nice pick-and-place synergies here) and a chess algo to controller part for the software. Would be nice publicity to the general public as well smiling smiley

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
[Ultimaker.com] - [blog.erikdebruijn.nl]
Ru
May 28, 2008 06:59AM
I was thinking about chess pieces last night, strangely enough.

Chessboards don't have fixed dimensions, so they can be scaled to fit your build area winking smiley The pieces are almost all easy to fabricate, though making a nice knight model would be the tricky bit I feel.

As for plastics, presumably you could have some nice colour ABS filament made up, if you knew the right people. Failing that, would having one set of pieces made out of PLA, and anogther set made out of an opaque plastic provide enough contrast? I'm guessing not, but I haven't seen enough PLA extrusions to be able to tell smiling smiley
VDX
May 28, 2008 08:17AM
... it's easy enough to fab cylindrical 'chips' and print appropriate images on top of them.

So you have the same body for all figurines and only the image on top in a different colour and/or material would change.

So maybe a two-step building: - first load white ABS and print all white parts.

Then load brown or black ABS and print the black parts and the images on top of the white figurines.

Then change to white again for the white images on the black ones ...

Viktor
Ru
May 28, 2008 08:36AM

it's easy enough to fab cylindrical 'chips' and print appropriate images on top of them.

Aww, but that's so boring winking smiley

Given that most chess pieces are pretty simple things, width the exception of a few minor details (on my set, the kind and queen's crowns, a slice through the bishop's head, the knight) should be dead simple to throw some nice little models together. I'd do it meself, if I had anything that even looked like a working printer...
VDX
May 28, 2008 10:16AM
... i should look if i have some 3D-data from 'real' chess-pieces, then you can have them converted into STL-files.

Maybe i'll make a run milling the 'boring chess-chips' with my CNC-mill as some sort of intarsia in white and black POM - should look nice spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
May 28, 2008 10:23AM
That's the spirit, no need to go all 2D on us winking smiley

Be sure to take pictures!

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
May 28, 2008 05:45PM
@Ru

You don't have to have a printer to design a piece. You could design the set and then ask someone near you with a RepRap to print them. Maybe barter a meal or two for the chess set. Nice system, that.

Demented
May 29, 2008 03:06AM
I have thought about chess pieces and most are easily modified for printing without support material starting from the standard "stauton" set. The sticker is the knight, but that one can be solved by printing it upside down I believe. In my "copious free time" I was planning to do a set as part of my effort to learn AOI.
Ru
May 29, 2008 04:02AM

The sticker is the knight, but that one can be solved by printing it upside down I believe

I'm not picturing that one at all! I was thinking more along the lines of having the horse's chin tucked in closer to its neck, and a thin bit of joining material that could be cut out by the end user. Failing that, a two (or three) piece knight where you print the head horizontally and then attach it to the base.

You could design the set and then ask someone near you with a RepRap to print them.

Yes, there is that. Perhaps I'll look in to it this weekend...
VDX
May 29, 2008 03:05PM
... OK, here are the images of a test with milling 'chess-chips':

Layout in Corel, export as DXF (import and CAM in IsyCAM):

First the inlay:

Then the body:

And finally assembled:

... tomorrow i have to make another in black'n'white for my other son ...

Viktor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2008 03:07PM by Viktor.
May 29, 2008 04:17PM
Definitely cool smiling smiley

Your sons must be lucky, a dad that can "make anything(TM)"... (or not TM after all...)

Regards,

Erik de Bruijn
May 29, 2008 09:46PM
So after 2 minutes with winpaint here is my inverted knight with no overhangs of more than 45 degrees. (At least none that can't be fixed fairly easily.)
May 29, 2008 10:01PM
Looks good Brian. I may take you up on the mow the lawn offer as well!

Jay
May 30, 2008 01:08AM
Wow, lot of great progress here, looks like we might be able to play a game of chess with reprap after all. We might also keep in mind that the chess pieces need to be easy to manipulate too. We might start printing out chess sets as a way to show what reprap can do, chess sets can be quite elaborate if 3d printed: [www.coroflot.com]
[www.nscad.ns.ca]

I also am beginning to see a need for having two plastic extruders, each capable of extruding a different color of plastic.
May 30, 2008 04:20AM
Why not simply print in white and paint half of them black?

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
May 30, 2008 04:27AM
Hi Chris,

... it's not 'stylish' enough winking smiley

The paint wouldn't last long enough and a solid two-coloured set is much more impressive.

So for a good reprap-reputation ( "repraprep" - maybe some more branding too smiling bouncing smiley ) we should make more worthy thingies ...

Viktor
May 30, 2008 01:29PM
I kinda like the idea of traditional chess pieces. We actually need a 4 to 5 head reprap to do that one. One black plastic, one white plastic, one support material (optional), one gripper, and one vertical grinder with vacuum and an "isolation wall" that drops down while operating. It would be quite... interesting when you go "pawn takes rook" and the head grinds the rook to scrap (for multicolor recycling) before moving the pawn.
May 30, 2008 06:11PM
why must there be a grinder?

Jay
Ru
May 31, 2008 07:52AM

why must there be a grinder?

Well,

It would be quite... interesting when you go "pawn takes rook" and the head grinds the rook to scrap

I'd be more embarassed about being in a situation where you've had to sacrifice a rook to a pawn, really.
May 31, 2008 08:10AM
How about a hot air gun and a little vacuum tube to suck up the molten victim? Or is that not violent enough??
Ru
May 31, 2008 08:38AM
What would clearly be the coolest thing is that trick whereby you get a pawn to the far row on the board, and change in into a queen, or whatever. With repchess, it really can change winking smiley
VDX
June 01, 2008 02:33PM
... my youngest son (7) found the chess-pieces a bit boring too, so i designed for him a butterfly-chip:

Both chips are milled from 5mm thick black POM with 2,5 mm thick white inlays from PMMA.

Viktor
June 01, 2008 04:18PM
Fantastic precision Viktor, this is why I want to combine an extruder with a milling head, then we can have 3D chess pieces just as precise.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
VDX
June 02, 2008 02:33AM
... yes, it's my aim too adding an extruder beside the mill-head and fuse the software.

So deciding for additive and/or subtractive fabbing is only to select a button on the screen spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Viktor
VDX
June 02, 2008 10:00AM
... and here some nice chess-pieces, where the fabbing would be a little more complex spinning smiley sticking its tongue out:

It's a rendered sample-scene from Povray - next i'll search a converter from POV to STL (or anoter common format) and retour and try with some other geometries and designing too ...

Viktor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login