Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gen6/Sprinter/pronterface hotend issues

Posted by slatronic 
Gen6/Sprinter/pronterface hotend issues
March 16, 2012 12:20AM
I'm a noob to this and trying to get my first printer going. The issue I'm having is the hotend doesn't seem to be heating up. I'm using a 6.8 ohm power resistor. I've checked the resistance and I measured 7 ohms across the power resistor and about 92k ohms across the thermistor. I have a Gen6 board with sprinter loaded using pronterface. Pronterface gives back temp readings of 20-30*. I'm using a 12v 5A supply.

I've tried to load Marlin and I can't seem to get it to verify. Using Arduino 23 there are many errors. Everything else with the printer works fine. All axis work fine as well as the endstops. Not sure what I'm doing wrong or what to check for issues.

thanks
jeff
Re: Gen6/Sprinter/pronterface hotend issues
March 16, 2012 06:51PM
I think 5 Amps won't be enough. You are probably current-limited. Try with a larger power supply, like say 18-24 Amps.

PC power supplies are commonly used for this purpose.

[reprap.org]
March 17, 2012 12:40AM
5A has been enough for me. As long as you don't try running a heated bed. Try measuring voltages on the connector for the hot-end.
March 17, 2012 01:18AM
Try putting a voltmeter across the heater leads after turning it on via Pronterface, and see if it reads 12V. If not, it's a firmware problem.
March 17, 2012 02:06AM
I turned on pronterface, hit set heater button then measured the voltage across the heater leads and it's 0v. I removed the power resistor and I measured 12.6v. I'm not exactly sure what this means.

thanks
March 17, 2012 11:15AM
Your power supply is bad since you're established that your hot end resistor is not shorted.
March 17, 2012 02:55PM
I tried just connecting the resistor straight to the 12v power supply I have and it got hot in 15 sec. So I don't think its my power supply. Could it be the mosfet on the board is bad or some setting in the firmware I'm missing? confused smiley
March 17, 2012 04:56PM
So I think its solved. I dug into the config file and ended up commenting out the heated bed thermistor. Figured if there is no heated bed maybe pronterface might not power up if it can't find thermistor. It heated right up. So now onto my first prints.

thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login