Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Making graphene supercapacitors with a DVD writer

Posted by garyhodgson 
Making graphene supercapacitors with a DVD writer
March 19, 2012 06:17PM
(I'm posting this in General because even though its about electronics it's also about reprapability.)

I just stumbled over this video via reddit: [www.youtube.com]

which explains how a Lightscribe DVD writer can be used to fuse graphite oxide to produce high-performance supercapacitors. Pretty interesting, and surely a candidate for "printable" electronics!

Anyone have any spare graphite oxide lying around? smiling smiley

A few links of note:

Reddit discussion: [www.reddit.com]

Copy of the paper someone kindly uploaded: [dl.dropbox.com]

Cheers,
Gary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2012 06:17PM by garyhodgson.

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
Re: Making graphene supercapacitors with a DVD writer
March 19, 2012 06:39PM
This looks fascinating, yes it looks like a good candidate for printed electronics, must read the paper and maybe have a play.

Thanks for posting the link.

Random Precision
March 20, 2012 06:23PM
Can be done with a laser cutter too: [www.youtube.com]
March 20, 2012 07:47PM
This is really cool. stuff does not appear to be cheep though: [graphene-supermarket.com]
VDX
March 21, 2012 03:45AM
... there could be some more stuff like that, when combining MID/LDS-techniques with DIY-able materials like metallic particles embedded in a non-conductive hull, that will be first sintered/pressed to a sheet and then partially fused with a laser to receive conducting traces ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
March 21, 2012 03:55AM
No I don't have any graphite oxide lying around but I do have a spare lightscribe DVD writer on my laptop. I could perhaps have a play around if I could get hold of some graphite oxide. It does appear expensive but I bet any electronics will only use a fraction of the quantities they are selling there. The only way to know is to try it I guess.
March 21, 2012 06:09AM
or make your own... wonder how hard that would be.
VDX
March 21, 2012 06:23AM
... essentially it's only the energy density of the fokus - a highpower-DVD-laser should be in the range of 200 mW.

You can buy laserdiodes or complete laserpointers with optics with powers up to some Watts!

I'm strictly against distributing and use of high-power laserdiodes as pointers, but when used carefully with safety-precautions as toolhead in a RepRap or CNC-mill, this will be a nice addon.

The laserheads I'm using with my CNC ranges from 200mW with 405nm Wavelength (BluRay-UV), over 1Watt with 445nm (blue) and 25 Watts with 975nm or 808nm (IR) up to 50 Watts with 1070nm ... every of them should be usable for recarbonizing Graphiteoxide or fusing powder ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2012 06:24AM by VDX.

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
CPS
March 21, 2013 02:52AM
there are many videos on youtube that show how to make graphene, it's not that difficult (prices on that website are ridiculous)
Someone should check the power of the laser in the LightScribe DVD devices.

I believe it to be more on the order of 25mW not 200mW. Too much laser power would surely mess any chance of repeating the experiment.

Mikeal
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login