Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bed Leveling - Exact or Tolerance?

Posted by mchenetz 
Bed Leveling - Exact or Tolerance?
March 25, 2012 04:43PM
Does the Bed have to be exactly level in all corners or is there some kind of tolerance? What is the best reference point from the bed to measure from? I am thinking that one of the reasons my ABS parts come up on one side could be that my bed is not level enough. Thanks for your help.

Mike
Re: Bed Leveling - Exact or Tolerance?
March 25, 2012 05:48PM
It has to be level to within small part of the layer height. With say 0.4mm layers it should be better than about 0.05mm.

I move the nozzle over each of the four corners and level them. I have to repeat that several times as each adjustment tends to affect the others when there are four points to adjust on a PCB bed. It is much easier with three points on a stiff aluminium bed.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
March 25, 2012 06:02PM
This part helps with leveling and saves plastic:

[www.thingiverse.com]
March 25, 2012 06:02PM
I use a feeler gauge to level the bed to my base layer height. I find that moving the head as close as possible to the adjuster screw, rather than out to the corner of the bed minimizes the back-and forth of adjusting (less lever effect from the interaction of the other three adjuster screws).
March 25, 2012 07:16PM
I use the same method as billmi but I use a sheet of printer paper which in the USA is just shy if 0.1 mm. I adjust the height so that I can feel a slight resistance when I push and pull the paper. If the bed is really off, then rolling a round rod is safer to avoid crashing the nozzle into the bed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login