Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update on polyceramic composites

Posted by ohiomike 
Update on polyceramic composites
April 20, 2007 04:53PM
The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:43PM by ohiomike.
Re: Update on polyceramic composites
April 20, 2007 05:07PM
Mike,
Would these composites be suitable for making something very rigid, like a lathe bed for example?

Chris
I have been considering high strength, low shrinkage compounds that could be extruded and used for the nozzle, gears etc. The one I think would be excellent is called "Phillybond #6". I used to use this in the Navy (it is common in ship repair), and it is an extremely strong, high temp two part epoxy repair compound. It needs to be mixed in a 4:1 ratio (hardener to resin) and has about a 10-15 min working time and 1 hr cure time. Your dual cartridge gun would be an ideal test. By not mixing it until it was extruded, the un-used material wouldn't harden. Anyway [www.itwresintech.com] gives you information on their other epoxies. Another thought is the "titanium repair compound" the only down side being a much longer curing time, and (I'm guessing) higher cost.
Anonymous User
April 20, 2007 06:23PM
Paul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have been considering high strength, low
> shrinkage compounds that could be extruded and
> used for the nozzle, gears etc. The one I think
> would be excellent is called "Phillybond #6". I
> used to use this in the Navy (it is common in ship
> repair), and it is an extremely strong, high temp
> two part epoxy repair compound. It needs to be
> mixed in a 4:1 ratio (hardener to resin) and has
> about a 10-15 min working time and 1 hr cure time.
> Your dual cartridge gun would be an ideal test.
> By not mixing it until it was extruded, the
> un-used material wouldn't harden. Anyway
> [www.itwresintech.com]
> gives you information on their other epoxies.
> Another thought is the "titanium repair compound"
> the only down side being a much longer curing
> time, and (I'm guessing) higher cost.

OK I created an account, so this is actually me
April 21, 2007 10:36AM
i'm a big fan of epoxies. i've been using JB Weld, simply because its readily available at any decently large hardware store. check it out:

[jbweld.net]
April 21, 2007 07:06PM
My group at work uses primarily polyurathanes and so the first materials I will be looking at will be those. Next I will likley look at furan/furfural type resins with cheap fillers (sands mostly).

This stuff is closer to concrete than it is to metal in fracture modes, so while it could be made thick enough to handle a lathe bed, pre-stressing it would likley be be desirable were you planning a lathe of any size.

Several of the materials that my group works with are epoxy based, usally with enough acrylate to speed up the cure time without creating too great a stench.

The first things I am interested in making are molds for parts, not the parts themselves. I want to try the simplier, faster, cheaper part making methods that I already understand, just with reprap material serving as the mold.

Mike

The thoughts and ideas expressed in this post do not reflect those of my employer and are intended only as communications between individuals. Any attempts at implement are at your own risk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2007 09:43PM by ohiomike.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login