Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

stl scale - mm inch or meter?

Posted by bergsprekken 
stl scale - mm inch or meter?
February 19, 2010 10:58PM
We want to print the stl files in a commercial machine but we are asked what the scale is used in the stl files, is it millimeter?
Re: stl scale - mm inch or meter?
February 20, 2010 12:46AM
Yes, it's in mm.

----------------------------------------------------
Build Progress Blog
February 22, 2010 08:03AM
We have found some plasti parts online but have decided to make some in wood, by hand/normal tools.

I have done a test to make the part manually in sketchup by opening the .stl file of a part in a .stl view program and measure the sides etc and recreate it in Google Sketchup, this way I could print out cutting templates i think on paper in real size.

But this is very tedious task because its no easy way to view the size spesification of each part that i have found atleast..the actual recreating in sketchup is quite fast but the thing that takes time is finding out the size of the parts.

Anyone know if the size specification of all the plastic parts exist? Maybe in 2d drawing or 3d drawings with size spec? Or do I have to look at the .stl and use measure tools manually?

smiling smiley
February 22, 2010 04:39PM
I print my drawings out to scale with blender, then glue them to my wood and use them as a cutting guide. blender also has a caliper tool which I haven't tried yet.

-----------------------------------------------
Wooden Mendel
Teacup Firmware
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login