Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thermistors and resistors

Posted by Bob hewson 
Thermistors and resistors
April 01, 2012 09:00PM
I'm ready to install my heated build plate and printhead.

I've seen suggestions to fasten resistor in printhead with muffler cement. Should I should also insulate the leads since I'm guessing the muffler cement may be conductive?

Same with the thermister in the printhead i.e. insulate leads?

The heated build plate also uses a thermistor, bond it in place too with muffler cement and insulate leads?

There are a lot of these little details that are missing. Guess the assumption is that we are all engineers, electronic whizzes, and computer nerds. I'm none of the preceding...

Any suggestions will be appreciateed.

Bob
London, Ont.
Re: Thermistors and resistors
April 02, 2012 01:16AM
Guess the assumption is that we are all engineers, electronic whizzes, and computer nerds.

hehe.. Well if you spend enough time with your Reprap you will be all three of them in no time.

Most cements are not conductive, try sticking your Multimeter in the stuff and try measure resistance (set you meter on the highest range resistance). If it isn't conductive your life will be easier.
I would still recommend to insulate the leads with something like kapton tape. Personally i dont glue the electronics in place, but i use thermal compound. Not glueing the thermistor is dangerous though, if it falls out the hotend or build plate is heated until something breaks.

Good Luck!
Frank, Saskatoon, SK
April 02, 2012 03:07AM
I use high heat resistant silicone sealer as it's so much easier to use and stays flexible when set and I insulate the wires with high heat proof heat shrink

April 02, 2012 09:09PM
Thanks, I will check the cement for conductivity and if it isn't will get some silicone.

I am beginning to see that I am learnig things quickly like soldering leads on Plolu cards. My last soldering was with a weller solder gun, its tips would cover about 3 or 4 of the solder pins. So, a new soldering iron with a tiny pointed tip and some practice. Seemed to do the job, no bridged connections. I will have to make rest of electical connections and hope it all works when I power up...

Drawings were scarce showing the two circuit boards, I though they mounted separately, but found a description that showed them piggy backed so reworked that. As you say I'm learning. At least I was smart enough to buy the electronics pre-assembled.

Bob
April 02, 2012 09:43PM
NelsonRap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use high heat resistant silicone sealer as it's
> so much easier to use and stays flexible when set
> and I insulate the wires with high heat proof heat
> shrink

+1 exactly what I did, except I just used "normal" heat shrink afaik - seems to work fine.
April 03, 2012 01:06AM
For soldering: look up a guide on the internet! It helped me a lot. Not that i am happy with most of my soldering. But it did help. I found some guide that was aimed at soldiers, so people who didn't get much other training in this field. It was great!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login