Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RepStrap Beginner

Posted by ostamo2 
RepStrap Beginner
June 24, 2010 05:00PM
I am looking into building a Mcwire Repstrap, is this a good one to work with first?

i have several broken printers to scrap parts from as well.
and i have read the mcwire is slow but i am a patient person and just want to get started somewhere.

any advice to give or thoughts for a beginner?
Re: RepStrap Beginner
June 24, 2010 05:45PM
Just building my own design RepStrap now.

No direct experience, but from a couple months worth of reading, I get the impression that it's really hard to
print decent quality using a threaded rod as lead screw.

Time taken to build each part is not the issue, but the mismatch between minimum extrusion speed (I believe there is a minimum speed for control-ability), and maximum X Y movement speed..

I'd think about going belts right away if you only want to print.

Hopefully someone with more experience will come along and correct me.

Al...

[araspitfire.blogspot.com]
June 24, 2010 06:33PM
If you use a geared stepper extruder then you will be able to extrude slowly enough for a threaded drive. The only problem then will be build time. You can expect about 4 - 6mm/s. I can make a Mendel in about 48 hours extruding 0.6mm filament at 32 mm/s, so it would take you a couple of weeks running 24/7.

I do my first layer at only 4mm/s, so it's definitely achievable with an extruder like Wade's.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
June 24, 2010 10:31PM
I am looking into building a Mcwire Repstrap, is this a good one to work with first?

No. McWire is a death march. smiling bouncing smiley It has a 90%+ percent terminal frustration rate.

Build a WolfStrap instead. (Then document it as WolfStrap-Imperial if you make it using imperial units. That will help folk in N. America. grinning smiley)

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 25, 2010 05:28PM
well i see more mcwires, and more documentation for them than i do the wolfstrap.

is the machine that much better or is just less work to put together.
i am asking as i have just begun researching making my machine
and mcwire seems easier to put together but a slower machine
and wolfstrap , i still have to research more.
June 25, 2010 09:44PM
well i see more mcwires, and more documentation for them than i do the wolfstrap.

That's because the problem child gets more attention than the good child. smiling bouncing smiley

WolfStrap is only few months old and people are mostly happy with it I think.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
June 26, 2010 05:16PM
I just expanded the German WolfStrap page to include the option with mendel z-belt drive for X and Y axis.
I have some exams in the next 3 weeks which I need to concentrate on but after that I'm going to completely rewrite (not just translate) the english page as well if nobody else did it by then.

Just don't expect imperial measurements from me. Not going to happen spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login