Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder question

Posted by bbriggstkd 
Extruder question
September 08, 2010 10:58AM
I've got a Wade extruder and I'm stuggling getting the right temp. Since I'm new, I really don't know what I'm looking for.

I'm setting the temp with the reprap host software and simply turning the gears by had to try to find the right temp. I'm getting lots of ooze, using ABS, so I think I'm in the neighborhood. One time at a temp of 225 it seemed to come out pretty good when I turned the gears by hand but it's not now. Do I have a blockage? Is it too hot, too cold? It doesn't seem to make much difference when I adjust the temp now. I do get more extrusion when I push on the filament in addition to turning the gears. How long should I wait when the temp gets to the right zone to make sure that the heat is distributed evenly?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Re: Extruder question
September 17, 2010 10:57AM
I know it's been a week since this post, but I went through this recently so hopefully I can still help.

I extrude at around 230 degrees, everyone is a little different based on how accurate your thermistor is, if it's insulated etc.

if you are getting ooze and it only works well when you push the filament through you are probably stripping the filament and without you pushing it through it has no pressure. I had the same problem, the bolt was shaving the filament instead of gripping it. What I ended up doing was egtting a new M8 bolt and WITHOUT cutting a groove in it for the filament I too a dremel cutoff disc and cut a bunch of bite lines into it. It grips extremely well now. The only drawback is that now I have to take the tensioner block off in order to start new filament, it doesn't feed past the bearing and M8 bolt on its own into the opposite hole. I could probably angle that hole a little to make it work though.

good luck,
Anthong
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login