Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ready for the software.... advice please

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Ready for the software.... advice please
October 12, 2010 09:15AM
Hello All

My Mendel frame has been put together and I am now ready to load software and test my 3G Makerbot assembled electronics which will be relatively unmodified. - maybe just some headers... My extruder will be a geared stepper extruder

I have spent a fair deal of time looking at the wiki but am still slightly in the dark as to what *exactly* I need to do to get going. I am running Windows Vista 32 bit.

I NEED ADVICE SOMETHING BAD!!

It is all pretty confusing. I see the tool chain page but still don't know the options I need.

FIRMWARE (2 possible options)
=========
For example, I guess firmware will be - RepRap FiveD GCode Interpreter
FiveD on Arduino seems good (options wise), but again, is that good for unmodified 3G electronics?

REPRAP DRIVER
=============
I am looking at using Reprap Host it seems or is uncertain whether the above firmware (RepRap FiveD GCode Interpreter) is compatable with it. It does say FiveD on Arduino is compatible, but again - is FiveD on Arduino good with Makerbot 3G electronics? I get the impression from the forum that it is not yet.

GCode compilers
=============
If I use Reprap Host for the driver that will cover my Compiler requirements as well... but then there is plenty of talk about repSnapper, SkeinForge and others

So I am thinking what I need is
5D GCode Interpreter + Reprap Host

Now, according to Microcontroller firmware installation I need to install Arduino and Sanguino software. Arduino is currently on ver 0021. Is this compatable?

Next, download Sanguino extensions from sanguino site ?? Which are the sanguino extensions? Do I need to download all 4 zip files or only the reprap motherboard v1.0 download?

Sorry for being so thick, but if someone who has gone through these steps could hold my hand that would be helpfull.

I have many more questions but need to get on with work.

Cheers
Re: Ready for the software.... advice please
October 12, 2010 09:36AM
I'd advice to go with the official firmware to start out with, and I must say I've really enjoyed the simplicity of RepSnapper.
After all you can always go on to other firmwares and skeinforge when the need arises.

You only need "Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip", then follow the instructions on the wiki.

If you don't have the official firmware and software yet, download the latest stable version here: [sourceforge.net]

I use Arduino 0018, and haven't tried newer versions. But it wouldn't hurt to try? You can always roll back to an older version if you encounter problems.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 13, 2010 04:20AM
Thanks Nudel.

Can you clarify which Sanguino extensions are required?

Next, download Sanguino extensions from sanguino site ?? Which are the sanguino extensions? Do I need to download all 4 zip files or only the reprap motherboard v1.0 download?

Cheers
October 13, 2010 09:29AM
> You only need "Sanguino-0018r2_1_4.zip"

And from the wiki wiki:
>Copy the Sanguino folder that's in the zip file into your arduino-00XX/Hardware folder so that your folder structure looks like this:
> arduino-00XX/Hardware/Sanguino

You don't need any of the other files on the sanguino page. They are source files for the motherboard and sanguino related production, as far as I understand. Download them and have a look if you want. :-)
October 13, 2010 09:43AM
magic. Thanks Nudel

I will be doing the software download tonight so I can start testing my electronics...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2010 09:43AM by AgeingHippy.
October 14, 2010 09:12PM
Peronally I had a pretty rough time until I went to Replicator G software, maybe I'll switch back to the main software again sometime... but Replicator G has integrated firmware updates, visual previews and skeinforge built in. It;s also cleaner IMO it doesn;t have a bunch of setting all over that don;t connect to anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login