Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

filament diameter bigger or smaller effect

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
filament diameter bigger or smaller effect
April 15, 2012 06:02AM
we are a factory doing filament, we get some feed back from customers, we doing plastic extruding products for a long time, the 3D printer is silimar to some of our process machine,I draw a pic to analyse the diamenter if a little bigger or smaller that no influse on printer,
as a filament supplier, we also want to make the printer supplier hear some info from us, hope they don't always require us to fit for their standard, some time plastic materials have their own propeties.
Just some private idea below, I do it myself.

Re: filament diameter bigger or smaller effect
April 16, 2012 11:56AM
Most hotend designs are build to allow a fair amount of fluctuation on the input diameter (about 5 to 10% as far as I can gather).

One of the biggest issues related to size is if the diameter varies along the length of the filament. As the software has calculates the amount of filament needed based on a user entered value (measured filament diameter).
If the filament varies in diameter some sections of the print will use more or less plastic then required leading to issues in the finished print.

My Reprap blog

jds-reprap.blogspot.com
Re: filament diameter bigger or smaller effect
April 16, 2012 01:35PM
Yes, we all understand that.

Almost all extruder's can take bigger or smaller diameter filament, that is not the problem.

The main problem is when a reel of filament changes diameter during the length and so makes the printed object over or under full of plastic reducing the quality, look and strength of a printed part.

It's just about ok for a reel of 1.75mm filament to change from 1.7mm to 1.75mm to 1.8mm but no more or less than this.

It's also ok for a reel to be 1.8mm nominal and change down to 1.75mm or up to 1.85mm that would be ok
It should also be ok for most people if a reel is 1.65mm nominal and changes to 1.6mm or 1.7mm as long as you tell people that's what they are getting along the length of the filament.

But no one wants a reel of plastic that changes from 1.6 to 1.9 along the length of the filament reel. Unless you sell this as low-grade for 'testing and experimentation' with a low price to match, then again people will be fine with it to play with.

Also make sure it's round and not oval. Oval filament is just a waste of everyone's time and money, it's worse than a changing diameter.

So what tolerance do you think you are achieving? other suppliers manage +/-0.05mm on a nominal 1.75mm filament. Some suppliers do better than that.

[richrap.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login