Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prusa an official build??

Posted by AgeingHippy 
Prusa an official build??
November 07, 2010 07:59AM
Hi There

I was browsing the wiki while waiting for the some water to cool so I can rehydrate my yeast...

I found 3 'official' versions of after selecting the Build a Reprap link on the main page. Here I found 3 versions - Our standard much loved Mendel, Huxley which I have heard much about and a third one I have never heard of. Prusa.

Can anyone clarify? I did a search on the forums and found virtually nothing on this variant. Is is not a little early to put it there on the 'official builds' page?

just asking - I would have thought I would have heard of it before now..
Re: Prusa an official build??
November 07, 2010 08:10AM
Where have you been the last month(s). winking smiley
Kidding aside, the prusa mendel is a genius simple design and the creator is now a part of the core team, so his design is very much official. edit: ... which have already gained quite a following, and thus it has become one of the recommended build options. (see Sebastiens post below).
Take a look at blog.reprap.org and read the (so far two) posts about the "Story of simpler Mendel...", then build one. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2010 08:01AM by Nudel.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 07, 2010 08:24AM
Thanks Nudel

So id the Prusa ready to build then? The documentation seems a bit thin, but then again that might just be me not looking in the right place or the documentation is still being put up.
November 07, 2010 09:02AM
Well, Josef has his up and running very good, so it's clearly ready. But since it's so new, the documentation is not very thorough, and you would be threading new ground when building one. Check out https://github.com/prusajr/PrusaMendel for the latest development files.
I'm definitively going to build one, as soon as I manage to construct a reliable extruder for my vanilla mendel that is.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 07, 2010 11:04AM
I have 2 imperial fastener versions sitting on my desk, if your going to print it, and live in the US (or Liberia) hold off for a few days till I get the production plates cleaned up.

I put my 2 together for $50-$55 dollars and all locally sourced in the US.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
November 07, 2010 01:11PM
lol - is Liberia the only other part of the world (besides the USA) stuck in the stone imperial age? winking smiley
November 07, 2010 02:51PM
Yep only the US and Liberia to my knowledge, everyone else uses Metric.

Funny thing is though I use mm to measure everything in RepRap, even when I am using Imperial fasterners. Makes it hard on the fastener shop when I go in and ask for a 5/16 bolt 15mm long. They are used to it now though.

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
November 08, 2010 12:14AM
Kidding aside, the prusa mendel is a genius simple design and the creator is now a part of the core team, so his design is very much official.

Nudel: You're 100% correct and 60% glossing over some subtleties.

Firstly: I agree that Prusa Mendel is great ; I'm pretty sure we should tell people "Build prusa-mendels, not ed-mendels". (Ed Sells did up first-Mendel, which I'm retronymming ed-mendel.)

Secondly: Prusa is a welcome and honored member of of RepRap-Admin, our rarely-invoked administrative staff.

as per: http://reprap.org/wiki/Admin
"RepRap is an Open Mailing List (and Administration is not Research or Development)"

As far as I can tell, we're not really calling folk "core-team" and we're not really flagging stuff official and non-official. But ... admin is not research and development. (I say that about 4 times on that wiki page.) More importantly, everyone is official, everyone is a developer, and everyone should be posting in reprap-dev. (More explicitly, all 7B official reprap developers should be posting in reprap-dev.)

And, hypothetically, stuff done up by admins is probably not more official than sexier designs which are drive-by uploads. Like the cool designs Aging Hippy is going to do up, or the ... 3? Deltas random folk are going to unleash onto the world.

Thirdly: That said, his design is probably more official than ed-mendel, due to inherent sexiness, but everything in the wiki is probably official. (If we have files for it.) smiling bouncing smiley As in, Johnnyr's RAMPS electronics and Camiel's Generation_6_Electronics are both just as official as Adrian et. al.'s Pololu_Electronics. Especially if you're going to Johnnyr or Camiel's webstore. smileys with beer Similarly, Glasswalker's All_In_One_Electronics are pretty official, but no one sells them yet. But those are easy to diy, so some devs think they should be more official than 4-layer boards.

Fourthly: reprap-doesn't really do "official", and hardly does "policy". Speaking as one of reprap's officials.

Fifthly: Since reprap doesn't do official, what's left is sort of editorial and curatorial stuff, like making the wiki reflect the personal biases experienced guesses thoughtful considerations as to what's important and what machine people should build. Very often, that stuff is just the result of thousands of wiki edits. The cream tends to float to the top.

Short version: "core-team" deprecated in favor of "reprap-dev" (where the magic happens) plus a light dusting of "reprap-admin", and "non official/official" deprecated in favor of "less sexy/ more sexy".

I have 2 imperial fastener versions sitting on my desk, if your going to print it, and live in the US (or Liberia) hold off for a few days till I get the production plates cleaned up.
Ah, the important stuff! Neil, are those SAE ed-mendels, as per:
http://reprap.org/wiki/SAE_Mendel
or are they SAE prusa mendels (which probably need some new-wiki-page-type love). smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
November 08, 2010 08:14AM
I agree, I should at least have put 'official' in apostrophes and I have edited my post to more closely convey what I meant.
Still, it does leave an impression on the community, and I would call it a clear recognition of a developers work if the person is added to reprap-admin, no?

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
November 08, 2010 01:28PM
Yup. smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login