Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bioplastic movie

Posted by murrayd 
Bioplastic movie
November 17, 2010 06:42AM
I happened to catch a excellent movie called "Addicted to Plastic" on TV tonight. It started out as an exposé of the amount of plastic in the most remote parts of the oceans (a huge amount of that in the Pacific, maybe 10%, is nurdles, never-processed granules of raw stock. Just from "not worth caring" handling), moved on to the places where recycling is most effectively done, then went on to bioplastics, prominently featuring our PLA friends at NatureWorks, but also showing innovative degradable cellulose from NEC, and an agriscientist in the US who's concocted an elastomer from keratin from poultry feathers, glycerol from biodiesel manufacture and citric acid. Interesting stops along the way with a Professor Kandinski in Germany who's fractionally distillating styrene back to hydrocarbons, and an Irish scientist who's got a natural organism that eats oils and makes plastics.
Worth the watch, an optimistic movie.
Re: Bioplastic movie
November 21, 2010 10:10AM
Any recommended way to watch this? I keep running into deadends searching on the net.

Sounds like a very interesting film and well worth the watch if you're into polymer recycling / got a conscience
November 21, 2010 08:03PM
Maybe try www.abc.net.au/tv, Ben. They've got online catchup replays, but it might be regional.
November 21, 2010 08:11PM
It's available on ABC's iView (which I think is Australia only). Only available on there for 9 more days. It's just under 53 minutes long. I'm going to watch it online shortly, so I'll see if I can post any more details about the doco so that people can find it in their areas.

Update: Directed by Ian Connacher, Produced by Cryptic Moth productions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 09:07PM by Cefiar.
emt
November 22, 2010 05:23AM
Hi

Hi is there any one in Australia that can provide a copy of the download?

Regards

Ian
November 23, 2010 02:07AM
it is worth a watch so i would suggest finding it and watching it.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login